Table of Contents Show
- Can You Straighten Synthetic Hair On Low Heat? – Explained
- 3 Considerations Before Straightening Your Hair
- How To Straighten The Synthetic Hair? – 4 Methods
- What Kind Of Hair Straightener Works Best For Synthetic Wigs?
- Final Thoughts
- Key Takeaways
In the world of hair styling, synthetic hair has changed the game by offering endless opportunities. Synthetic hair has been very popular because of its adaptability, versatility, and cost. You can get your desired synthetic hair in many different styles and forms, such as wigs, hair extensions, weaves, and hairpieces. People who love to experiment with their hair admire synthetic hair since it helps to have our dream hair instantly with minimal time and effort.
People who love to style their hair differently every time with synthetic hair have a common concern: Can you straighten synthetic hair on low heat? Well, you can straighten your hair on low heat, but that should be followed by some specific considerations and methods. I am going to answer all of your queries in this article regarding straightening your synthetic hair so that you can enhance your beauty by styling synthetic hair and having a sleek and polished appearance.
Can You Straighten Synthetic Hair On Low Heat? – Explained
The answer is Yes! It is possible to straighten your synthetic hair on low heat. But before jumping into straightening synthetic hair, there are some essential considerations that you should look into first.
Synthetic hair type
All the synthetic hair you can find in the market are very different from each other. They are made from different materials and with different formulations. Some synthetic hairs are very high quality and heat resistant whereas others are not. They are built with cheap materials such as colorful party wigs and are very prone to damage even on the lowest heating setting. So, you need to know the manufacturer, material, and quality of the synthetic hair first to determine if you can straighten your synthetic hair and the optimum temperature for that.
Optimum heat temperature
Maintaining the optimum heat is crucial while straightening your synthetic hair. Most of the synthetic hair types can be effectively straightened at around 250°F (120°C). Low heat helps to maintain the original texture and quality of your synthetic hair while reducing the possibility of damage. If you are using a heating tool, you need to make sure that you can monitor and control the heat. The temperature should never exceed 350 F (175 C) for any type of synthetic hair type because high heat can make your synthetic hair melt, frizzy, tangle, damage, and shorten its lifespan.
3 Considerations Before Straightening Your Hair
You should consider these factors before straightening your synthetic hair so that it remains safe from damage and can have a long lifespan.
- Use a heat protectant: If you want to straighten your hair with a heat styling tool, you should use a heat protectant that is specifically made for synthetic hair extensions. By creating a barrier between the hair and the hat source, a heat protectant reduces the chance of getting the synthetic hair damaged directly.
- Test a small section: If you are not able to monitor the temperature to straighten your synthetic hair, you can also do a section test first. Start with the lowest temperature that you can go for and notice how your synthetic hair responds. Take a small amount of hair from the back part of the wig to test. If with that temperature the hair is melting, damaging, or giving sizzling sounds, you need to stop right there.
- Follow manufacturer’s guidelines: You should always consider the manufacturer’s guidelines first regarding the maximum temperature for that specific synthetic hair. They typically provide the information regarding the wig and whether that is heat resistant or not. Otherwise, you can just look for the material and search what is the maximum heat that the material can handle.
How To Straighten The Synthetic Hair? – 4 Methods
To straighten your synthetic hair, there are five different methods that you can opt for. You should do the procedure at a low heat to prevent any damage to the synthetic wig.
1. Hot Water
Hot water is one of the methods that will help you to straighten the hair and will also help to make your hair smooth. You can use this technique in both heat-resistant and any average synthetic hair. For this water method, first, you need to detangle the hair with the wig brush. Then, you have to boil water in a large pot at a temperature of 160°F to 180°F (70 ℃ to 80℃). To acquire enough water to cover the wig, try using a big pot depending on the hair length. Then you need to soak the whole wig in the pot for 10 to 15 seconds. After removing the synthetic hair from the water, place that in a wig stand. Secure that with the T-pins so that it can stay in place. Then blow dry the hair while constantly brushing the hair straight.
2. Flat Iron
Flat iron is a method that you should do only when you have heat-resistant synthetic hair. Especially when your hair straightener has an auto temperature setting and you do not know the actual temperature. If the temperature is high, it will have the chance to melt or burn your wig if that is not heat resistant. For straightening your synthetic hair with a flat iron, you need to set the wig in a mannequin head. Then, secure the wig with T-pins so that the wig does not slide off, and detangle the hair with a wig brush. After that, separate the hair into small sections, clip them off, and start straightening with the lowest heating setting. You can also use a heat protectant to keep your synthetic hair on a safer side.
3. Steaming method
For the steaming method, you will need to have a portable steamer. First, place your synthetic hair in the wig stand and brush out the hair. Then turn on the steamer and steam the hair from every direction until the whole hair is soft and easy to comb. You can also steam the hair and comb that in sections for easier application. Comb the hair in a downward motion until the hair becomes straight. Since steaming does not apply direct heat to the hair, there is no chance of burning or melting your synthetic hair. But you might need to repeat the procedure multiple times to make your synthetic hair completely straight. Next, let the synthetic hair air dry and apply some leave-in conditioner for a softer and shiner result.
4. Blow Dry
Blow drying is one of the fastest ways to straighten your synthetic hair. You need a blow-drying brush and hair clips to straighten your synthetic hair. Firstly, secure the hair in the wig stand and dampen the hair with a spray bottle. Then, part the whole synthetic hair in 4 sections. Hold the upper section with a clip and start by blow-drying the lower section with a blow-drying brush. Glide the brush slowly from an upward to a downward position and move the dryer slowly with the brush from one or two inches apart. Blow dry the lower sections first, clip that up, and then move towards the upper sections.
What Kind Of Hair Straightener Works Best For Synthetic Wigs?
It’s crucial to pick the proper kind of hair straightener while straightening synthetic wigs. The improper hair straightener can harm the wig fibers because not all straighteners are appropriate for synthetic wigs. A flat iron programmed with temperature settings works best for straightening synthetic wigs. Because synthetic wigs can’t take high temperatures, you need a flat iron that lets you reduce the temperature to a lower setting. Look for a flat iron with ceramic plates when purchasing one for your synthetic wig. Ceramic plates evenly disperse heat and are less prone to damage.
Some of the heat-resistant fibers that will be less damaging if you want to heat-style them are- Kanekalon, Mono fiber, Saran, Toyokalon, thermo fiber, etc.
Yes! You can use your regular hair straightener for straightening your synthetic hair, but you need to make sure you keep it in the lowest setting to prevent any chance of getting changed shape, damaged, or melted.
350 or 175 is the maximum temperature that you can go for straightening your synthetic hair, but never more than that to keep your synthetic hair in a sound condition.
You need to have a wig stand or a mannequin head for storing the synthetic hair properly. After straightening it, apply a little bit of serum to maintain its shine and secure the wigs in the stand. In this way, it will not be tangled or become curly afterward.
If you want to create an attractive look that will make you feel pretty with minimal effort and within the shortest amount of time, synthetic hair can be the perfect option for you. You can style your synthetic hair anyhow you want with the heating tools as well. But you must buy a good quality heat-resistant synthetic hair and keep the heat temperature low while styling. You can very easily straighten your hair by following some easy methods. Take into account the precautions and considerations beforehand, to safely straighten your synthetic hair to expand its longevity.
- Synthetic hair is made of a variety of man-made artificial fibers which can be heat-resistant or non-heat-resistant depending on the quality of the product and material.
- You can straighten your synthetic hair at a low temperature while keeping in mind the hair material type and the optimum temperature the material can handle.
- You should use a heat protectant, test small sections, or follow the manufacturer’s guidelines before going forward to straighten the whole hair.
- If you can’t go for any of these, there are other ways with which you can understand if your synthetic hair is heat resistant or not.
- There are several methods that you can opt for straightening your synthetic hair other than using a flat iron.