Table of Contents Show
You want to have volume-thick eyelashes and you need to use a mascara for that. Mascara thickens, lengthens, and curls your eyelashes to give your makeup an attractive frame that makes the eyes appear more vibrant. You may not always have all the necessary makeup products, like mascara available for use. So, will you not do your makeup? Of course not! You may consider using alternatives to mascara to complete your eye makeup look. Brow gel is such an alternative.
Brow gel lengthens, thickens, and darkens eyelashes. It is intended to hold brow hairs in place. It is typically thicker and waxier than mascara. But it is not formulated to build volume or length in the same way that mascara is. Now, if the question appears in your mind: can you use brow gel as mascara? then this article is for you! This article will help you find out whether you can do it or not along with all the detailed consequences.
Are Brow Gel and Mascara Different?
Both products are similar in texture and consistency, but the purposes for which they are formulated are different.
The formulas and applicator wands are different, with mascara typically having a thicker, longer wand and a more viscous formula than brow gel. Brow gel is formulated to keep eyebrow hairs in place and add some color or definition. While mascara is formulated to darken and volumize eyelashes.
Brow gel is typically designed to enhance eyebrow hair, helping them to appear fuller. It may have a thicker consistency than mascara and often contains ingredients like wax or fibers that help to build up the appearance of the brow. Mascara, on the other hand, is designed specifically for use on the eyelashes. It is formulated to provide length, volume, and definition to the lashes, and typically contains ingredients like pigments, oils, and waxes that help it adhere to the lashes.
Brow gel is available in a variety of forms, including powder, gel, and pencil. It is often applied before bed to get set overnight while sleeping. There are numerous variations of mascara too, including liquid, gel, and powder. Waterproof mascaras are the most common varieties.
Can You Use Brow Gel as Mascara?
A Brow gel is a smaller version of mascara in general. To fit your brows, it is available in a range of sizes, colors, and forms. Its quality applicator and brush ensure easy, clean use. Clear brow gel is the finest product for use if you have naturally thick brows and want to keep them in place. On the other hand, try tinted brow gel, if your brows need some support filling in sparse places if you don’t have a chance to fill them in. So, brow gel has multiple uses and one of the important uses of it is to work as mascara too.
This application of brow gel as mascara is very popular. This is useful when you don’t allow the lashes or eyebrows to take the focus. It helps in beautification without making you appear to be someone with excessive makeup. Some days, you may want to wear natural makeup or no makeup at all. At that time, it helps your eyelashes maintain a well-defined curl for more time.
If you are searching for a good alternative to mascara, you can go for brow gel. But it might not work as effectively as an actual mascara. Brow gels can be used as mascara for the eyelashes in addition to filling in and volumizing sparse eyebrows. If you have oily skin, the formula’s thickness ensures that it doesn’t splash down on your face over the day. This is particularly good if you prefer to use clear mascara over the eyeliner.
While using it, consider a few things. Firstly, brow gels usually don’t have the same pigmentation as mascaras. So, you might not achieve the same bold effect you’re hoping for. It may not provide the same level of length, volume, and definition too. Again, brow gels may be a little harsh on your eyelashes since they are made to keep hairs in place. So, make sure to use a liberal amount of conditioner to coat your eyelashes first so that it can prevent any kind of dryness. If the brow gel is tinted, it may not be the right shade for your lashes and could look odd. Moreover, since brow gel is not formulated for use around the eyes, it may not be safe or comfortable like a product that is specifically formulated for use on eyelashes.
Eyebrow Gel Use Options
Eyebrow gel use options include the use of a mascara wand to apply brow gel to your eyelashes. This is essential since it enables the proper application of the gel. You should ensure that the mascara wand you are making use of is clean or has been fully cleaned and dried before application.
- With just a clean mascara wand: People who don’t have as much free time would benefit greatly from using brow gel with just a clean mascara wand. It serves great if you’re searching for a quick and easy way to add some thickness to your eyelashes without taking too much time to get dressed every morning or evening before going out in public.
- With a clean mascara wand and brush or comb: This helps scatter product gathering on your eyelashes. This option may be more effective than others if you have extended lashes since it helps further differentiate them from one another and offers thickness all around.
How to Use Eyebrow Gel as Mascara: Step-by-Step
Since eyebrow gel is not technically a mascara and is much thicker, it can be tricky to use it on your eyelashes. That is why you should get to know how you can utilize this versatile product for your eyelashes too!
- Step 1: Choose the Mascara Wand: Choose a clean mascara wand. If you don’t have one, wash and dry an old mascara wand thoroughly.
- Step 2: Remove Excess Product: Remove any excess product from the wand by wiping it against the rim of the tube.
- Step 3: Apply Eyebrow Gel to the Wand: Apply a small amount of eyebrow gel to the wand. Do not use too much product as it may clump or feel heavy on your lashes.
- Step 4: Comb the Gel through Your Lashes: Starting at the base of your lashes, gently comb the gel through your lashes in an upward motion. Wiggle the wand slightly to separate the lashes and coat them evenly.
- Step 5: Continue to Apply the Gel: Continue applying the gel to your lashes until you achieve the desired effect.
- Step 6: Dry the Gel Completely: Allow the gel to dry completely before touching your eyelashes or applying any additional eye makeup.
✨ You May like: What Do Panda Eyes Makeup Meaning?
Pros and Cons of Using Brow Gel as Mascara
Although using brow gel as mascara has several pros it also has several cons which you must try to avoid.
- Makes the eyelashes healthy: Glycerin and other hydrating elements included in brow gels make the eyelashes healthy while curling and shaping them.
- Gives a flawless and natural appearance: You can simply define your eyelashes with Clear Brow Gel as mascara for a naturally flawless appearance.
- Curl eyelashes naturally: You can use an eyebrow gel to curl your lashes naturally.
- Do not weigh down eyelashes: While mascara contains more wax and is made of heavier oils, brow gel has a small amount of wax and is made of lighter oils that would not weigh down soft eyelashes. Brow gel is not as rigid as mascara. Therefore, it would not cause your lashes to become fragile.
- Lead to better results: You may use eyebrow gel as a primer. It will not only be simpler to apply but also lead to better results.
- Leads to breakage or damage: When you attempt to curl your lashes naturally, using it too much at once could gradually lead to breakage or damage.
- Causes eye infections: Although mascara is designed with specific ingredients to prevent bacterial growth and minimize the risk of eye infections, brow gel may lack this property. So, it increases the chances of developing an eye infection if used on the lashes.
- Irritating eyes: The ingredients in brow gel may not be suitable for sensitive skin around the eyes. Using it as mascara can potentially cause irritation, redness, itching, or discomfort in the eye area. Especially, brow gel containing alcohol might irritate your eyes.
- Gives uneven application: Brow gel is usually thicker and has a different consistency compared to mascara. When used on the lashes, it may result in clumpy or uneven application, making your lashes appear less natural.
- Causes eyelashes to smudge: Brow gel is not typically formulated to resist smudging on the eyelashes. Therefore, it may transfer onto the skin or cause smudging throughout the day, leading to a less polished look.
- Harder to remove: Brow gel may be more challenging to remove from the lashes compared to mascara. Its thicker consistency can make it stickier and harder to wash off, which leads to lash breakage or loss.
Additional Tips for Using Brow Gel as Mascara
- Choose a hypoallergenic gel that is gentle enough for daily usage if you have sensitive eyes.
- Choose a brow gel without alcohol to avoid severe levels of irritation.
- Use in the right amount to avoid gradual breakage or damage.
- Use an excellent moisturizer or primer first since it might be quite a bit dry.
- Use brow gel free of harmful chemicals, such as phthalates, and parabens.
Yes. Your eyelashes will become thicker and longer without clumps as you use a small amount of colored brow gel on them.
No. Clear mascara is a water-based mascara that can be used as a brow gel to shape and slightly darken brows without appearing too artificial. It holds them in place and adds a lovely gloss. While the transparent gel called brow gel is used to fill up sparse brows.
Vaseline works well as an occlusive moisturizer for dry skin and eyelashes. It can hydrate eyelashes, giving them a fuller appearance, but it cannot make them grow longer or faster.
Henna is semi-permanent, and makes your brows and lashes defined like regular tint and eyebrow makeup. Anyone who is in love with natural beauty treatments should use henna because it is entirely made of plants and free of chemicals.
Curling your eyelashes only requires a slight force and warmth. Warm your fingertips with your breath. Then push firmly on your lashes to curl them in on themselves. Keep the position for ten seconds, then do it again as per the requirement.
Brow gel as mascara is a popular way to beautify eyelashes without appearing that you have put on excessive makeup. It helps your eyelashes to maintain a well-defined curl for a longer time, even when wearing natural makeup or no makeup. The eyelashes get more volume and are maintained in place. Unlike mascara, brow gel is not specifically designed to prevent bacterial growth and minimize the risk of eye infections. It may thus increase the chances of developing an eye infection if used on the lashes.
So, a brow gel can definitely be applied as mascara although it is a bit tricky. Apply eyebrow gel on your lashes as an alternative to mascara for thicker and fuller eyelashes. It looks fantastic and looks extremely good on your eyelashes!
- Brow gel lengthens, thickens, and darkens eyelashes while mascara darkens and volumizes eyelashes.
- Using it as mascara is a popular way to beautify eyelashes without appearing that you have put on excessive makeup and the use of a mascara wand is essential for proper application.
- Brow gels don’t have the same pigmentation as mascaras. So, it may not provide the same level of length, volume, and definition to your lashes.
- You can simply define your eyelashes with Clear Brow Gel as mascara for a naturally flawless appearance.
- Brow gel may not have the same properties as mascara to prevent bacterial growth and reduce the risk of eye infections.
✨ Next Attraction: Is Dior Cruelty-Free?