Table of Contents Show
- Can Eyebrow Pencil Be Used as Eyeliner?
- Types of Eyebrow Pencils to Use as Eyeliner
- How to Use Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner?
- 5 key Differences Between an Eyebrow Pencil & an Eyeliner
- Pros & Cons of Using an Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner
- Alternatives to Using Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner
- Final Thoughts
- Key Points
Eyebrow pencils help define and highlight the eyebrows while eyeliners help define the eyelid. Both are very important to make the eyes look bold and attractive. Eyebrows and eyeliners play a significant role in creating a different eye look and changing the whole appearance. Most of the people may not think of completing their makeup look without these products. However, many people prefer using eyebrow pencils as eyeliner while some of them use it as eyeliner in case of unavailability.
So, can you use eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner? Eyebrow pencils and eyeliners are typically designed to serve different purposes. Occasionally or in case of unavailability, the eyebrow pencils can also be used as an eyeliner. This may not be safe and compatible to use eyebrows very frequently as an eyeliner. You may use this as an eyeliner in certain situations but make sure that your eyebrow pencil is sharp enough to create precise lash lines. While using an eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner, it is very important to maintain your eye’s safety and comfort.
Can Eyebrow Pencil Be Used as Eyeliner?
Many people use eyebrow pencil as eyeliner because it is quick and easy. In certain situations, an eyebrow pencil can be used as an eyeliner. But, you need to make sure that your pencil is sharp. Occasionally, you can use the eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner especially when you are out of eyeliner or you want an eyeliner that you can fix soon. However, you should not use this frequently because both eyeliner and eyebrows are formulated differently for serving different purposes.
Eyebrow pencils are designed to create natural-looking hair on the eyebrows while the eyeliners are formulated to accentuate the lash line. Eyebrows come in a waxy texture and help define the shape of the hair. Eyebrows adhere to the brow hairs and provide a long-lasting effect. Eyeliners, on the other hand, can be found in different forms such as pens, pencils, liquids, gels, etc. So, you can use eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner. But if you want to get the exact effect of eyeliner, then you must use an eyeliner.
Types of Eyebrow Pencils to Use as Eyeliner
If you are looking to use eyebrow pencils as eyeliner, you may find different types of eyebrow pencils. So, it depends on the formulation of that eyebrow pencil and the look you want to achieve. Here are 4 different types of eyebrow pencils from which you may choose your desired one to create your desired eye look and lash line:
- Cream Eyebrow Pencils: If you are looking for a natural eye look, cream eyebrow pencils can be a good choice. This blends smoothly on the skin but may not last longer.
- Powder Eyebrow Pencils: Powder eyebrow pencils are very easy to use and can be easily blended on the skin. This may not last as long as the other eyebrow pencils. This may not be a good choice for people with oily skin as it can smudge easily.
- Gel Eyebrow Pencils: Gel eyebrow pencils help define your brow hairs. For people who are looking for a long-lasting eyebrow pencil, this can be a good choice for them. This may do wonders for people with fuller and troublesome brows.
- Antique Eyebrow Pencils: This is a sharp pencil compared to the other eyebrow pencils. This can provide you with a precise eyebrow application. This is also used for filling and shaping eyebrows. Among all the eyebrows, this can be the best one to use as an eyeliner. Because this provides precise application and can help you get your desired eyeliner look.
How to Use Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner?
When you have already decided to use eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner, you should follow the following steps to get a perfect eye look:
- First, sharpen your eye pencil. Apply the line precisely with that sharpened pencil.
- Then, soften your eyebrow pencil. You can use a hairdryer and place it near a flame to soften it. You will find it easier, smoother, and simpler to apply.
- Take the softened eyebrow pencil and apply it like a regular eyeliner. Start from the outside of your eyelid and go near the base of your lash line.
- Follow the shape of your eyelid and try to maintain the eyeliner line as straight as possible.
5 key Differences Between an Eyebrow Pencil & an Eyeliner
Eyebrow pencils and eyeliners are not the same. Eyebrow pencils are designed to create natural-looking hair-like strokes on the eyebrows. Eyeliners, on the other hand, are designed to create lash lines and create different makeup looks. Here are some key differences between eyeliners and eyebrows:
Eyebrow pencils are generally waxier and harder than eyeliners. As a result, it won’t provide you with precise application like the eyeliners. On the other hand, eyeliners have a softer texture. So, you can apply this smoothly along the lash line and can have a precise application.
You can get a shiny finish with eyeliners. On the other hand, eyebrow pencils can offer a powder or matte finish.
3. Color Intensity
Eyebrow pencils are formulated in a way to match the natural color of the eyebrows. It creates a softer and subtler effect on the eyes. Eyeliners, on the other hand, contain intense pigmentation and provide a dark color compared to the eyebrows. Darker colors can create a more dramatic look compared to eyebrow pencils.
Eyebrow pencils cannot provide that precise lash line like eyeliners. The eyeliner pencil, on the other hand, is thinner than the eyebrow pencil. So, this helps you get more precise lining on your eyes.
Eyebrow pencils are designed in a way to last with natural oils or sweat. It helps the eye makeup to stay longer throughout the day. Eyeliners, on the other hand, are mostly found in waterproof formulations and these are more resistant to smudging or fade even when exposed to tears, oily eyelids, or humidity.
Pros & Cons of Using an Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner
Many people may find eyebrow pencils more convenient to use as eyeliner. However, using eyebrow pencils as eyeliner can bring you some benefits as well as disadvantages:
- Eyebrow pencils are generally softer than the traditional eyeliner pencils. As a result, it can create a beautiful Smokey eye look that many people may desire.
- Eyebrow pencils can create a more natural lash line than eyeliners.
- Eyebrow pencils with a waterproof formula can help you get the best lash line with a long-lasting finish.
- As eyebrow pencils are waxy, it makes it difficult to apply. Also, it can smudge more easily than traditional eyeliners.
- Eyebrow pencils are designed to fill in the sparse brows. So, the eyes may look overdone when you use it as an eyeliner.
- Eyebrow pencils are not as sharp as the eyeliner pencils. So, you may not get precise lash lines when using eyebrow pencils as eyeliners.
Alternatives to Using Eyebrow Pencil as Eyeliner
If you do not have eyeliner or prefer using something else as eyeliners, here are some alternatives that you can go for:
Using an angled brush, you can apply eyeshadow as an eyeliner. This can provide you with a softer finish with so many color options available.
Mascara can also be used as an eyeliner. You just need an eyeliner brush to create the lash line. This will provide a subtle effect on your eyes. Before using mascara as an eyeliner, make sure that the formulation is suitable for the eye area.
3. Lip Liner
Lip liner can also be used as a temporary substitute for eyeliner. The lip liner should not contain any harmful ingredients that are not suitable for use around the eyes.
4. Colored Pencil
A colored pencil can also be used as a temporary solution. But choose a pencil that is easily removable and safe to use around your eyes.
5. Gel or Cream Eyeshadow
If you have a gel or cream eyeshadow available, you can apply it with an eyeliner brush to get a temporary effect. You may get a wide range of color options from the gel eyeshadow. This will be more long-lasting than the other options.
Eyebrow pencils emphasize and define the eyebrows while eyeliners highlight the eyelids. While you can use eyebrow pencils as eyeliners occasionally or in certain situations, you must consider the key differences between them. They have differences in formulation, color intensity, texture, longevity, and others. Moreover, it may not be safe and compatible to use eyebrow pencils as eyeliner. Both are formulated and designed to serve different purposes. In case of unavailability, you can use alternatives like eyebrows. There are also some other alternatives like mascara, eyeshadow, lip liner, colored pencils, and so on. These are not permanent solutions to use as eyeliner rather can only be used as temporary substitutes for eyeliner. However, if you have already decided to use an eyebrow pencil as an eyeliner, use a sharp eyebrow pencil to get precise and perfect application.
- Eyebrow pencils help to create natural-looking eyebrow hairs while eyeliner is used to create lash lines with different eye makeup looks.
- Eyebrow pencils can be used as eyeliner in case of unavailability. But make sure that the eyebrow pencil is sharp.
- There are different types of eyebrow pencils to use as an eyeliner. For example, eyebrow pencils, gel eyebrow pencils, powder eyebrow pencils, and antique eyebrow pencils.
- The differences can be seen based on texture, finish, precision, and longevity.
- You must prioritize the safety of the eyes and comfort before using eyeshadow as an eyeliner.