There are a few the skin conditions like stretch marks, burns, enlarged pores, wrinkles, and acne scars all of which may result in several skin conditions. Under these conditions, the skin needs to be treated in a special and effective manner to overcome the issues. Microneedling is such a safe treatment that can enhance skin appearance. It is a cosmetic procedure that involves puncturing the skin with tiny needles to promote collagen production and improve skin texture and tone. The most likely individuals for it include skin with a crepey texture, acne scars, and larger pores.
But people often wonder: how long after microneedling can I wear makeup? Now, wearing makeup does not need a fixed timetable. You may want to apply makeup after completing the microneedling treatment. While you are confused about the right time to apply makeup after the treatment, it is very natural for you to ask about makeup after microneedling. You will come to know everything about wearing makeup after the treatment through this article.
- Can You Wear Makeup After Microneedling?
- How Long After Microneedling Can I Wear Makeup?
- Benefits of Wearing Makeup after Microneedling
- Gives healthier and smoother skin
- Gives protection
- Moisturizes your skin
- Enhance the results
- Conceals redness and inflammation
Can You Wear Makeup After Microneedling?
Microneedling tightens or regenerates loose or aged skin, reduces scarring, and even out wrinkling. After going through the treatment, the skin becomes red and sensitive. So, it may require some time to heal. The treatment makes sense as you’re using it to improve the texture of your skin. Applying makeup will also be simpler and appear nicer then.
Aftercare instructions should also be followed because your skin will be irritated after microneedling. The time it takes for the skin to heal and prepare for makeup relies on the person receiving treatment. So, you can wear makeup after microneedling but not right after microneedling. Also, if you have skin problems, wearing makeup at that time might be risky for your skin. So it is a definite no on wearing makeup right after microneedling!
How Long After Microneedling Can I Wear Makeup?
After any skin regeneration procedure, wearing makeup too soon or choosing the wrong kind can have negative effects and even create long-lasting issues. For the best comfort and results, you need to stick to skincare instructions both before and after microneedling.
The skin needs time to breathe and begin healing from the micro-injuries brought on by the procedure. So, it is essential to wait before you wear makeup. Your skin will be better able to cope with the chemicals in tinted products after 24 hours, and the top layer of your skin will be sufficiently healed after 48 to 72 hours so that applying everyday makeup won’t cause any issues in the recovery process. So, if you go through microneedling, you must wait for at least 48 to 72 hours before wearing makeup on your skin. People having no issues with their skin can wear makeup maintaining this time gap. But, if you have sensitive skin you may need to wait for a longer period. It is always a good idea to consult a dermatologist before using any makeup after the treatment.
Once the initial healing period has passed, you can gradually start to reintroduce makeup and other skincare products. However, it’s important to choose products that are gentle and non-irritating. Light mineral-based makeup is good for the skin. Avoid products that contain harsh chemicals or fragrances that could further irritate your skin. Additionally, be sure to clean your makeup brushes and sponges regularly to prevent the buildup of bacteria and other contaminants that could lead to skin irritation or infection.
Benefits of Wearing Makeup after Microneedling
While it is generally recommended to avoid wearing makeup immediately after microneedling, there are some benefits to wearing makeup once the skin has had time to heal.
Gives healthier and smoother skin
Your body will begin to naturally start manufacturing more collagen and elastin when you force it to respond to micro-injuries as a result of this process. This implies that your skin can be healthier, smoother, and firmer.
Microneedling can leave your skin more open to sun damage. Wearing makeup after it can act as a barrier protecting the skin from environmental pollutants and UV radiation. This radiation can further irritate the skin and delay the healing process. So, always wear makeup with SPF so that it can help protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Moisturizes your skin
Certain makeup products, like tinted moisturizers or BB creams, can provide hydration to your skin, which can help improve its overall appearance and texture. Look for products that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid or aloe vera to soothe and calm the skin.
Enhance the results
Microneedling can help improve the absorption of skincare products, including makeup. Applying makeup after microneedling can help enhance the benefits of any skincare products you use, including anti-aging serums or moisturizers.
Conceals redness and inflammation
Microneedling can cause temporary redness and inflammation on the skin. While wearing makeup can help to conceal these effects. This can be especially helpful if you need to return to work or do other activities right after the procedure.
Risks If You Wear Makeup Right After Microneedling
After microneedling, you will get to apply light and oil-free foundation. You can also use other basic makeup products like concealer, powder, blush, eyeshadow, and mascara. But, it is generally recommended not to wear makeup right after microneedling as there are some risks.
- Wearing makeup right after microneedling can introduce bacteria into the open wounds, increasing the risk of infection and irritation.
- It can clog the pores, preventing the skin from breathing and hindering the healing process.
- It can lead to inflammation, redness, and even breakouts.
Alternatives to Wearing Makeup After Microneedling
You need to use certain products after microneedling. So, always try to avoid harsh skincare products or treatments and let your skin heal with natural products. As you cannot wear makeup immediately after microneedling, you may consider some alternatives to wearing makeup after it. Here are some alternative suggestions.
- Gentle cleansers: Always try to use gentle cleansers free of harsh acids or sulfates. Oil-based cleansers will work well on your skin since they won’t peel off the skin or make it dry. Do not use cleansers and scrubs that exfoliate.
- Serum: After microneedling, your skin may be sensitive and dry, so keeping it hydrated with a nourishing serum is essential. Apply a gentle serum to hydrate your skin after microneedling.
- Hyaluronic acid moisturizer: Hyaluronic acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the skin that helps to keep the skin moisturized and promotes the synthesis of collagen, making it a crucial component of microneedle treatments.
- Aloe vera moisturizer: Aloe vera is a useful natural element for skincare that may treat a lack of moisture, burns, injuries, and pigmentation in the skin. Also, it minimizes redness or irritation after the procedure and helps in maintaining the skin barrier’s function.
- Tinted sunscreen: If you need to cover up redness or discoloration, a tinted sunscreen can provide lightweight coverage while also protecting your skin from UV damage. Look for a product with a broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30 and apply it generously to your face and neck.
- Healing balms: Many healing balms are available that can help soothe and protect your skin after microneedling. Look for products that contain soothing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and calendula.
- Hydrocortisone cream: After microneedling, hydrocortisone cream is effective enough to minimize irritation.
- Arnica gel: This natural anti-inflammatory can help reduce swelling and bruising after microneedling.
- Cold compress: Applying a cold compress to the treated area can help reduce inflammation and redness.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil helps facilitate the recovery of sensitive skin and maintain its hydration balance.
Tips for Taking Care of Skin After Microneedling
- Avoid sun exposure: Sun exposure can further damage the skin after microneedling, so it is important to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. If you need to be outside, wear a hat and sunglasses and seek shade whenever possible.
- Avoid touching the face: Touching your face can cause inflammation. First, wash your hands well if you need to touch your face.
- Be careful: You have to be careful to use soft movements when applying makeup. Do not rub or scrub your skin because doing so can irritate it.
- Understand possible side effects: Get all the information from your esthetician or beautician that has done your microneedling so you are aware of the common side-effects and look out for the ones that you should be concerned about.
After a microneedling procedure, applying makeup so soon can cause discomfort and inflammation. If you do decide to wear makeup, utilize mild cosmetics that are non-irritating and free of harsh components, as well as smells and colors.
You should not wear thick water-based moisturizers for the first 48 hours. It is because they may clog pores and increase the risk of skin breakouts, such as rashes. Oils will be excellent if applied to the skin after microneedling.
After 8 hours of treatment, you can wash your face with warm water. While within 24 hours, avoid applying anything to your skin. After 24 hours, you may start cleaning your skin with a mild non-exfoliating cleanser.
Hyaluronic Acid is the ideal moisturizer to use after microneedling. You should use products containing hyaluronic acid or pure hyaluronic acid as your moisturizer. When you use other products containing hyaluronic acid, select fragrance-free products.
So with this, now we know that microneedling right after a microneedling on your face is absolutely a no! In fact, you should be avoiding makeup up to 72 hours after the procedure, whereas people with sensitive skin should be more careful and wait a bit longer for the skin to heal. However, wearing makeup after your skin has healed can help make your skin better after the treatment. And when you don’t want to wear makeup, there are alternatives like sunscreen and balms to help you protect and heal your skin safely. But remember that it is still an abrasive treatment so be sure of the common side-effects and watch for any problems by getting all the information from your beautician!
- You need to wait for wearing makeup as it takes time for the skin to heal and prepare for makeup after microneedling.
- Since the treatment is done to improve the texture of your skin, wearing makeup after it will appear to be nice.
- If you go through it, wait for at least 48 to 72 hours before wearing makeup on your skin. While for sensitive skin you may need to wait a bit longer.
- Choose products that are gentle and non-irritating, such as light mineral-based makeup, and avoid harsh chemicals or fragrances.
- Wearing makeup after it can act as a barrier protecting the skin from environmental pollutants and UV radiation.