Table of Contents Show
- What are Wrinkles?
- How Dermaplaning Works?
- How Dermaplaning Can Help Reduce Wrinkles?
- Risks & Side-Effects of Dermaplaning with Wrinkles
- 7 Alternatives of Dermaplaning for Reducing Wrinkles
- Can Dermaplaning Make Wrinkles Worse?
- Final Thoughts
- Key Points
Over the years, people are becoming more and more conscious about their skin, especially their face which is the most visible. Aging is something that no one can prevent and with it comes the effects of blemishes and age spots. But the one aging sign is that people are most conscious about wrinkles. From serums and anti-aging creams, people have tried many different methods to reduce their appearance. However, the unlikely dermaplaning might be a solution that could work to reduce wrinkles!
So, does dermaplaning help with wrinkles? It is a popular beauty treatment that shaves away the top layers of your skin, removing hair and dead skin cells from your face. It also helps with wrinkles by decreasing their appearance of it. One of the major reasons for wrinkles and fine lines is the decreasing level of collagen in our skin. And if you are wondering, then yes, dermaplaning actually does help with collagen levels! So let’s see how effective dermaplaning is for wrinkles.
What are Wrinkles?
Wrinkles are creases, folds, or ridges in the skin that appear as a person ages due to a decrease in the collagen levels on the face. Collagen is a protein that structures our skin so if that decrease, then the folds of the skin will also increase with it. Sun exposure is the main cause of wrinkles. Wrinkles are mostly found on our faces, arms, and neck. If your body loses collagen or if your skin is frequently exposed to the sun, you may have the risk of getting wrinkles on your skin.
Besides this, slow skin cell production, and thin skin layers can cause wrinkles. As people get older, their skin gets drier, thinner, and less elastic. So, it becomes more prone to damage that leads to wrinkles, lines, or creases. There are some common factors responsible for wrinkles, including:
- Sun exposure
- Environmental & genetic factors
- Some Medications
There are several ways to prevent and reduce the appearance of wrinkles including protecting your skin from sun damage, maintaining a healthy diet, avoiding smoking, and using skincare products. Some people also choose treatments such as dermaplaning or Botox injections.
How Dermaplaning Works?
Dermaplaning is a cosmetic procedure that involves using a sterile surgical scalpel to gently scrape the surface of the skin. This process is typically performed by a professional dermatologist to improve the texture and tone of the skin. This process can make the skin look softer, brighter, and more even. People usually go for dermaplaning when they desire a more even and brighter skin tone as well as clearing skin.
During the treatment, a sharp blade is used to scrape away dead cells. Generally, it is done in a spa or salon by trained dermatologists. It can also be done at home by following proper rules and techniques. Besides improving makeup application, it helps to remove the appearance of wrinkles and blemishes over time. When doing dermaplaning, the skin is first cleansed and dried. A gentle solution is applied to help loosen dead skin cells. The dermatologist then uses a sterile surgical scalpel to gently scrape the surface of the skin at a 45-degree angle. In this process, the dead skin cells are removed.
The procedure or treatment is painless and takes about 30-60 minutes to complete. As dermaplaning has little to no side effects and has become a popular option among people seeking a fresh complexion without any side effects. Dermaplaning is not recommended for those with active acne or sensitive skin as it can cause irritation and inflammation. Moreover, it is also important to protect the skin with sunscreen after a dermaplaning treatment as the newly exposed skin can be more sensitive to sun damage.
✨ You May like: Top 10 Best Tanning Lotion for Legs In 2023
How Dermaplaning Can Help Reduce Wrinkles?
As we get aged, our skin loses elasticity and collagen. Collagen gives volume, structure, and shape to our faces. And elastin provides elasticity for moving our facial muscles. As we get older, our skin forms lines and wrinkles. Wrinkles are the most common and noticeable signs of aging.
While dermaplaning can help improve the overall texture and smoothness of the skin, it is not primarily designed to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. But dermaplaning can indirectly help reduce wrinkles by removing the outmost layers of dead skin cells.
- Dermaplaning helps to stimulate the production of collagen. This is a protein that is essential for maintaining the elasticity and firmness of the skin. Collagen helps to speed up the healing process and create new skin. As we age, collagen production tends to decline, which can further lead to the formation of wrinkles and fine lines. It also helps to remove the spots on our faces and create a smooth and soft complexion
- Dermaplaning is a fruitful treatment for wrinkles. Because it helps skin growth, increases blood circulation, and makes your skin cells youngest by removing the appearance of wrinkles.
- When the wrinkles develop in our face and become more prominent, the skin cells die and become dull and dark. Dermaplaning helps to remove those skin dead cells and create a youthful appearance by reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Acne lefts scars and dark spots on our faces. Dermaplaning can help to get rid of those acne scars. It rebuilds and repairs the skin by removing wrinkles and fine lines from the skin.
- Dermaplaning is a very effective exfoliating treatment. It works excellently in removing impurities from the skin. As a result, it has a great role in reducing the wrinkles on our faces. It helps to neutralize the spots on our faces.
Risks & Side-Effects of Dermaplaning with Wrinkles
Dermaplaning also has some side effects along with its benefits. Especially for wrinkles, it can bring so many side-effects too. The risks and side effects of dermaplaning with wrinkles are as follows-
- Dermaplaning can cause some skin irritation, especially if you have wrinkles and fine lines. The process involves scraping a sharp blade over your skin, which can cause redness, sensitivity, and irritation. The results can be more severe in areas with wrinkles or thin skin.
- If the blade of dermaplaning is not used correctly, it can cause scarring. There is more possibility to happen if you have wrinkles or fine lines as the blade may catch on those areas.
- There is a small risk of infection with any cosmetic procedure that helps to rebuild the skin such as dermaplaning. If the blade that is used in this procedure is not sterile, it can introduce bacteria into your skin which can lead to infection.
- Dermaplaning can cause hyperpigmentation, most significantly if you have dark skin. This occurs when the skin produces too much melanin which may lead to patches or dark spots on the skin.
- After dermaplaning, your skin may be more sensitive to the sun. This happens because the procedure removes the top layer of dead skin cells which normally protect from the harmful rays of the sun.
7 Alternatives of Dermaplaning for Reducing Wrinkles
Dermaplaning may not be suitable for all people who want to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It may not be suited to everyone’s skin. Some alternatives to dermaplaning can also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles:
Botox is a popular treatment for wrinkles that block certain nerve signals. It works by temporarily paralyzing the muscles that cause wrinkles. The muscles relax for about 3-6 months. After that, the muscles start to move again and the wrinkles come back. So, the treatment can be repeated after several months.
The dermatologist may first rub an anesthetic cream over that particular area. Then the medicine will be injected into specific facial muscles. Within the week of your treatment, you may notice your muscles started relaxing and the facial lines and wrinkles get to decrease. So, this can be an alternative to dermaplaning for reducing wrinkles.
2. Chemical Peels
Chemical peels are a popular treatment for wrinkles. In this process, a chemical solution is applied to the skin. It causes the top layer to peel off. This can help improve the skin texture and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
At first, your skin will be cleansed by an expert. Afterward, a chemical solution containing glycolic acid, salicylic acid, carbolic acid, and lactic acid will be applied to the skin. Chemical peels are of different types. Based on skin condition and type, those are applied. This is one of the best treatments for wrinkles that helps to minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
Micro-needling is also known as collagen induction therapy. It involves a needle that will create small holes in the top layer of your skin. After this procedure, the application of cream or serum is recommended for better results. This process helps to repair the collagen that has been decreased. Collagen production increases in this procedure.
It can be effective for treating moderate wrinkles, particularly around the eyes and mouth. But, it may not be effective for more severe wrinkles or deep lines. It is a safe and effective option for reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
4. Laser Resurfacing
This is a cosmetic procedure that uses a laser to remove the utmost layers of the skin. This helps to increase collagen and elastin production. And finally, it results in smooth and fresh skin without wrinkles.
In this procedure, a laser is used to remove the damaged skin cells that help the skin to heal and regenerate. Laser resurfacing can be effective for treating moderate to severe wrinkles. It can also help to decrease the appearance of spots and scars.
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure where a special machine is used to remove the outmost layers of the skin. For people with wrinkles, this can be an effective way to make your skin feel and look younger.
This process helps to remove dead skin cells and increase collagen production which can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This should be noted that microdermabrasion is a safe procedure that carries very few risks. This can be a good alternative to dermaplaning.
6. Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are also called soft tissue fillers. For adding volume and fullness, these soft tissue fillers are injected into the skin. The substances that are used in derma fillers are- Hyaluronic acid, Calcium Hydroxyapatite, polylactic acid, polyalkylimide, etc.
These fillers help to increase collagen production, improve the appearance of wrinkles, and increase elasticity in the skin. So, these fillers can also help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
7. Natural treatments
Some wrinkles can be treated at home by using natural ingredients. Aloe vera can help in reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It also adds collagen and hydration to the skin helping to make the skin healthy.
The banana mask can also be used as it contains natural oils and vitamins that help to boost our health and skin. Egg whites can also help to reduce wrinkle depth and can increase the production of collagen. Moreover, there are also some essential oils such as almond oil, argan oil, jojoba, or coconut oil. These may also help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Gentle massage can also help with wrinkles in some cases. Vitamin C is one of the very significant ingredients that increase collagen production. As these natural ingredients or treatments have no side effects, these can be a better alternative to dermaplaning for wrinkles.
Can Dermaplaning Make Wrinkles Worse?
The exfoliation process of dermaplaning helps in preventing wrinkles. It helps to remove the dead skin cells and dirt that make our skin fresh and younger. Dermaplaning helps to prevent wrinkles over time. A dermaplaning treatment may remove the wrinkles and fine lines from our faces. But in some cases, it can make the skin and wrinkles worse than before. Because, removing a layer of your skin, makes your skin more exposed. As a result, if the dermaplaning blade or your hands contain bacteria, they may experience infection. So, in fewer cases, dermaplaning can make the wrinkles worse.
Dermaplaning may not help much with the deeper wrinkles. Rather it helps with the wrinkles that begin to develop over time. For deeper wrinkles, you may choose other treatments that will be more effective in reducing their appearance.
If you want natural treatment to get rid of wrinkles, you may use sunscreen, aloe vera gel, banana mask, different oils, and vitamin C for better results.
The best facials for deep wrinkles can be-chemical peels, micro-needling, hydra facial, hydration, exfoliation, light therapy, and so on.
Aloe Vera contains ingredients that help to increase the production of collagen and Hyaluronic acid. It helps to nourish the skin and makes the wrinkles less noticeable. You can mix tomato juice or coconut oil with aloe vera which may help to appear your skin more youthful.
Dermaplaning is a treatment that helps to treat acne scars, dead skin cells, and dirt from our faces. Removing the top layer of our face helps to make the skin look healthy, shiny, and fresh. Besides these benefits, dermaplaning also helps to remove the appearance of wrinkles. It helps to increase collagen production which helps to create a soft and smooth complexion. It should be kept in mind that there are some side effects and risks of dermaplaning with wrinkles. It can make the wrinkles worse in many cases as it makes the skin more exposed and sensitive. People who don’t get suited to this can go for other alternatives such as Botox, chemical peels, micro-needling, dermal fillers, natural products, etc.
- Wrinkles are very common that can be caused by sun exposure, genetics, dehydration, etc.
- Dermaplaning helps to remove dead skin cells and helps to reduce or improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- There are also some side effects of dermaplaning which situation can worsen for people with wrinkles.
- Some alternatives to dermaplaning may help the person with wrinkles. The alternatives include Botox, chemical peels, micro-needling, dermal fillers, retinol products, and so on.
- In some people, dermaplaning can make the wrinkles worse. So, proper precautions should be followed with the help of a professional expert.
✨ Next Attraction: How Long After Dermaplaning Can I Wear Makeup?