Table of Contents Show
Eyes are windows to our souls. The most noticeable thing about a person is their eyes. Through your eyes, you can see the world and go about your life. 80% of what we perceive comes through the sense of our sight. In our life eyes plays an important role. Eyelashes can sometimes be an emphasis on beauty. Their primary job is to protect the eye from dust, sand, or any debris.
Some people have full, curled eyelashes, and others have thin, straight eyelashes. Eyelashes keep dirt, dust, and other debris to come in contact with our eyes. Eyelashes shape our features differently. Long eyelashes are a symbol of beauty. It can create an illusion of wide, gazing, and mesmerizing eyes. As we can see eyelash serves us in different ways. A damaged eyelash follicle can be detected when you find out your eyelash is not growing out naturally and have redness in your eyes.
Symptoms of Damaged Eyelash Follicle
To figure out if your eyelash follicle is damaged, you need to be familiar with the symptoms. If you have more than two signs you may have damaged your eyelash follicle. You should contact a doctor as soon as possible.
- Eyelids itching.
- Eyelash loss in both eyelids.
- Losing vision.
- Redness around lashes.
- Pressure around eyes.
- Losing hair on the eyebrow or scalp.
11 Causes of damaged Eyelash Follicle
You can start to lose your eyelash for a condition named madarosis. It can occur for various reasons.
1. Eyelash Extensions
You can face eyelash loss due to eyelash extensions. If your lash extension is too heavy for your lashes, it may fall down. Your lash can shed permanently which will affect its natural growth cycle.
2. Lash Tinting
Lash tinting is used to make your lash appear beautiful and noticeable. You can apply once in a while. But frequent use of lash tinting can damage your eyelash beyond repair.
3. Thyroid Condition
You can start to lose your hair because of thyroid conditions. This happens when your thyroid hormone levels are too high or low. Irregular functions of T3 and T4 disturb the regrowth cycle.
4. Genetics Condition
Genetics plays an important role in our life. If your parents or even grandparents have thin eyelashes, you will most probably suffer from the same condition.
5. Pulling Out Eyelashes
Rubbing or pulling your eyelashes can cause damaged eyelash follicles. This type of condition has a name which is trichotillomania. It can damage your eyelash’s natural growth and you may notice your lash to fall out.
6. Cancer Treatment
Chemotherapy can lead to eyebrow or eyelash hair loss. Different chemotherapy can cause thinning of your eyelash to baldness. Your eyelash will fall out after then the hair on your head.
7. Alopecia Condition
People with alopecia condition will notice hair falling out in patches. This includes hair loss in eyebrows and eyelashes. This happens because their immune system attacks their hair follicles.
Extreme eyelash loss can be due to Blepharitis condition. It is an inflammation of your eyelids. It is caused by allergic reactions or infections.
9. Bacterial infections
You should always avoid using expired makeup products including eyeliner and mascara. It can lead to bacterial infections which will turn out as inflations resulting in eyelash loss.
10. Drugs Side Effects
Some drugs containing anticoagulants or botulinum toxins injections have side effects that cause hair loss including damaging eyelash follicles.
Lupus condition can make the immune system attack the body and damage internal organs. Leaving scars and rashes all around the body and finally attacking the eyelids. This causes loss of hair in the eyelids.
12. Skin Cancer
When cancer cell spread, it will disrupt the growth cycle of your eyelash. It will cause hair loss and permanent damage to eyelash follicles.
✨ You May like: Top 10 Best Makeup Mirror for Bad Eyesight In 2023
5 Natural Ways to Regrow Eyelash Follicles
Without using products to speed up your natural growth of eyelashes, you can follow these simple steps to protect your eyelash follicles.
1. Prevent yourself from Plucking Lashes
If you have a habit of plucking your eyelash, it may be difficult to prevent yourself from pulling out your eyebrow. Sometimes this can occur automatically without your knowledge. Sometimes you feel the need to pull your eyelash out to get relief from ingrowing eyelashes. You need to understand how much risk you are putting your eyelash follicles through. Eyelashes can grow back after plucking them. But you need to leave your eyelash alone so that it can grow naturally.
2. Healthy Diet
You will be amazed to know what eating a healthy diet does to your whole body. You can add eggs to your diet. It is known that eggs have biotin and protein. You can add iron-rich foods to boost your iron. Hair loss is linked to iron deficiency. Here are some foods that will be helpful for your lash growth.
- Sweet potatoes
- Fatty fish
You also need to drink a lot of water. A hydrated body repairs your damaged lashes and makes them strong and luscious. You also need to add protein-related foods to your diet. You should add beans and yogurt to your diet. It is always advised to consult a healthcare professional. To know which food increases your lashes growth, you should consult a professional for a better idea.
3. Being gentle while Removing Makeup
It is super satisfying to remove makeup after a long day out. But you need to keep in mind that our skin tissue is fragile and needs proper care. While removing makeup you need to keep in mind that scrubbing or rubbing eyes can be led to eyelash loss. Avoid scrubbing your lash line with a cotton pad to remove eyeliner, you should gently remove liner by going back and forth.
To remove mascara smoothly, you can apply a cleansing balm in a cotton round. This will melt the formula of mascara and will be easier for you to remove stubborn mascara or eyeliner. If you leave your makeup overnight it can damage your eyelash. Overnight mascara can dry out your eyelash and cause the breakage of eyelashes prematurely.
4. Take a Break from Lash Extensions or Fake Lashes
If you use fake lashes every day, it can be hurtful to know to grow your natural lashes you need to avoid using fake lashes. If your falsie or fake lashes are heavy it can put a lot of pressure over your actual lashes and that will lead to lash falling out. Lash extensions are also damaging to your eyelash follicles. When hair from an extension falls out, it takes the original lash with which it was attached to. Taking a break from falsie and extension will do more good than bad. So think about future consequences and give time to your natural lash to grow.
5. Avoid Using Eyelash Curler
Curling your eyelash can weaken the lashes from root to tip. This happens because it is not natural for your eyelash to be curled, you are forcing them to bend. Sometimes you may accidentally tug your eyelash. Clamping your eyelash with stainless steel can also damage your eyelash follicle. As a result, you will face eyelash breakage and fall out. You need to squeeze your curler instead of pulling those outwards. It is better to avoid using an eyelash curler when you are noticing your eyelash falling out.
6. Massage your Eyelids
Massaging your eyelids will help to activate your hair growth hormones. Avoid pressing or rubbing your eyelids too hard. Gently pressing your eyelids for 60 seconds can encourage the healthy growth of eyelash follicles.
4 Products that will help to Regrow Eyelash Follicles
1. Coconut Oil
As we all know coconut oil moisturizes our hair and helps them to grow. It does the same thing for your eyelash.
- Squeeze a little amount of coconut oil in your palm or bowl.
- You can also warm up the oil before applying. You can mix coconut oil with rosemary or lavender.
- While your eyes are closed, gently massage the oil over your eye area to the tip of the eyelid.
- Massage the oil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- You can leave it overnight or wash it off after you have finished massaging.
- Do not put the oil on your eyelash directly. As it can get into your eyes and cause pain or irritation.
- Fuller eyelashes.
- Protect from bacteria.
- Reduce protein loss.
- Temporary blurry vision.
- Can have an allergic reaction.
- Can cause irritation if oil gets in your eyes.
2. Apply Lash Serum
You can also go for a lash serum that is available on market. For better results, you should apply daily for 2 to 3 months.
- If you wear contact lenses daily or once in a while, you should put them away. Lash serum can get inside your eye lenses and damage them.
- You need to have a clean face while you are applying lash serum. Remove all the makeup including eye makeup to move to the next step.
- Make sure to clean your hands and eyes properly.
- Take a lash serum applicator and apply it to your upper lash line.
- While your eyes are closed, apply a thin coat to your upper lash line starting from the inside of your eye and moving outwards.
- Blink your eyelash so that the serum can get into your lower lash line.
- Clean your eye area with a sponge to remove all the excess serum. Otherwise, it will cause irritation and potential hair growth in that area.
- Continue the process daily for 2 to 3 months. After that time period, you can reduce the application time to 2 to 3 times a week.
- Strengthen the lashes.
- Enhance their growth.
- Repair eyelash follicle protein.
- Moisturize the molecule.
- More expensive than natural oils.
- Can cause irritation and agitation.
- Blurred vision if not applied properly.
- Can suffer an allergic reaction.
3. Vitamin Supplements
We will also need to take care of our lashes from within, we can provide them with essential nutrients for their growth of the lashes. Vitamin E is known to help you grow your lashes. You will notice changes in your lashes between 1 to 2 weeks.
- Take a bowl and add 2 tsp. of aloe vera gel, 1 tsp. of castor oil with vitamin E oil.
- Squeeze 2 vitamin E capsules in the bowl.
- Take an old, clean mascara wand and use it as an applicator.
- Mix them for 3 to 4 minutes until they take cream form.
- Apply the gel using a mascara wand on your lashes.
- You can leave the gel overnight and wash your face in the morning.
- Clean your face using your favorite cleanser.
- Thick lashes.
- Strengthen lashes.
- Moisturize the lashes.
- Lessen your stress level so that your lash grows.
- Irritate if it gets inside your eyes.
3. Green Tea
Applying green tea over your eyelid is an excellent way to grow your eyelashes. It makes your lashes longer and darker so that your eyes can be the most noticeable feature.
- Pour green tea into a cup.
- Take a cotton pad and dip it in the green tea.
- Apply the wet cotton pad on your eyelash.
- Naturally improves eyelash growth.
- Cleanse the follicles.
- Does not contain any side effects.
When to Consult an Ophthalmologist?
If you have already treated your eyelash using the above steps but it is still falling out. Hormonal imbalance and medical conditions can be the reason for damaged eyelash follicles. Sometimes using medication has side effects that will attack your hair growth follicles. You need to seek an Ophthalmologist or eye doctor so that you can get treatment as early as possible.
If you notice your eyelash fall out on both eyelids, hair loss on the eyebrows or the scalp, itching redness around the eyelid, or vision changes will indicate a serious condition. Your eye doctor will examine your eyes, find out the reason behind it and suggest treatment that will improve your condition. With proper treatment, you can get your lash eyelash back. Your hair will only grow out if the hair follicles or internal hair structure are intact.
Leaving makeup overnight and using lash extensions or eyelash curlers can be the reason you are missing a patch of eyelashes.
When your lash extensions are unable to attach to your natural lashes and frequent eye infections indicate your lashes are unhealthy.
Infected eyelash follicles look like a red, swollen bump on your eyelid.
An infected eyelash will take 1 to 2 weeks to heal on its own.
It is really important to keep your eyelash follicles healthy to maintain proper hair growth on your eyelash. Your eyelash can fall out because of natural reasons or illness. Finding reasons behind your damaged eyelash follicles will help you to fix this issue. Fixing your damaged eyelashes needs proper care. You should nurture your eyelash the same way you do your hair.
Sometimes lash shedding cannot be controlled, the only thing that can save your lashes can be proper maintenance. Good habits and avoiding rubbing or putting pressure can reduce your loss. There are some times when you will find yourself in a position where no treatment is helping your situation. You should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
- There are 11 reasons that can lead to damaged eyelash follicles.
- A healthy diet and drinking water can improve your condition and give your eyelash follicles a chance to regrow.
- Vitamin supplements can improve the growth of hair follicles.
✨ Next Attraction: Eyelash Extension Allergy Alternative