Skin is a very important part of our body that protects our body from germs, heat, cold, or injuries. People are getting more conscious of their skin day by day. As a result, they are using different skincare products such as serums, cleansers, moisturizers, sunscreens, etc. Most of our skin problems are caused by sunburn or UV rays. As a result, sunscreen became one of the most essential products for skincare. Elta Md is a famous sunscreen brand that is very effective against UV rays.
So, Is Elta Md cruelty-free? There are contradictions and different opinions regarding this. Elta Md contains essential ingredients like hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and others. Besides this, it has also some non-vegan ingredients that are derived from animals. Also, some of their skin care products are found to have been tested on animals. But are all these true? Let’s find out together!
- Why elta MD is Famous?
- Which are Cruelty-free Products?
- Factors to Spot Cruelty-Free Brands and Products
- Ingredients of elta MD
- 1. Zinc Oxide
- 2. Octinoxate
- 3. Purified Water
- 4. Cyclopentasiloxane
- 5. Niacinamide
- 6. Hydroxyethyl Acrylate
- 7. Polyisobutene
- 8. Sodium Hyaluronate
- 9. Lactic Acid
- 10. Phenoxyethanol
Why elta MD is Famous?
Elta Md is a brand that offers a range of cleansers, sunscreens, moisturizers, and other skincare products. This brand is famous because it is recommended by dermatologists and skincare specialists because of its high-quality formulations. This brand is designed to address so many skin concerns.
The sunscreens of Elta Md are more popular because they provide high protection against UVA & UVB rays. This brand offers a range of sunscreens such as tinted sunscreen, oil-free sunscreen, water-resistant formula, etc. Besides sunscreens, Elta Md is also famous for moisturizers and cleansers that are very gentle on the skin. The key ingredients of Elta Md Brands are hyaluronic acid, vitamins C, vitamin E, and niacinamide.
Which are Cruelty-free Products?
Cruelty-free means products that have not been tested on animals during their production. This simply means that this doesn’t ensure the effectiveness and safety of the animals. Many companies have adopted cruelty-free policies because it has been banned and declared illegal in many countries of the world such as New Zealand, the EU & India.
The cruelty-free formula does not mean that the product is vegan or contains no animal-derived ingredients. A product can be cruelty-free, but at the same time, it can contain animal-derived formula. There are so many cruelty-free products available in the market including cosmetics, household products, personal care products, etc.
Factors to Spot Cruelty-Free Brands and Products
There are some criteria to understand whether it is a cruelty-free product or not. Some of them are as follows-
- Research the company: Research and look if the company has any previous history of animal testing or if they have any controversies regarding animal cruelty. You need to know whether the brand or company tested their finished products on animals. Ensure that the specific product you are buying is not involved in animal testing. You also need to check on the ingredients or formula of that product whether it is cruelty-free or not. If you are looking for a cruelty-free product, there should not be any harm or death to animals during the development.
- Check the company’s website or customer service: You may also check the particular company’s website to know about their stance on animal testing. You can also contact customer service to get a detailed idea about animal testing or cruelty-free formula.
- Look for a cruelty-free certification or logo: The product should be certified by famous animal welfare organizations such as PETA or the Leaping Bunny Program. Find out the logos or the manufacturer’s instructions on the company’s website. The manufacturer of the brand will have complete transparency about the ingredients and formulation.
- Avoid products from countries that require animal testing: Many countries have a history of animal testing. For Example-China requires their skincare products to be tested on animals before they are sold in markets. So, it is likely that the companies sold their products in China are tested on animals.
Ingredients of elta MD
The ingredients of any product are the main indicators of knowing about the formulation of any brand or product. There are some active and inactive ingredients used in Elta Md Products. The active ingredients are Zinc Oxide and Octinoxate and others are inactive ingredients.
1. Zinc Oxide
Zinc oxide is one of the common products used in sunscreen. It is used as a skin protectant and anti-irritant. It also helps to treat skin irritations like rashes. Zinc oxide is a fantastic ingredient for sun protection because it provides broad-spectrum protection against both UVA & UVB rays. Also, this is one of the safest ingredients that provides excellent protection against the harmful effects of the Sun’s UV rays.
This is also the most commonly used liquid ingredient in sunscreen. It is one of the effective ingredients to block UVB rays. Besides sunburn, it also helps to prevent other types of skin damage. This is one of the active ingredients used in Elta Md.
3. Purified Water
Water is one of the most important ingredients in any skincare product that works as a solvent. This is one of the most common ingredients that helps to hydrate from the inside.
This is a cyclic structured silicone used in the products of Elta Md. It gives a silky, smooth feel to the skin. Besides this, it is also water resistant and provides a protective barrier to the skin without damaging the skin.
Niacinamide is a great ingredient for wrinkles, anti-aging, and other issues. There are several proven benefits of niacinamide for the skin. It helps fade the brown spots and provides a healthy skin barrier.
6. Hydroxyethyl Acrylate
This ingredient work as a thickening and gelling agent that is mostly found in moisturizers and sunscreens. This helps Elta Md and another sunscreen to stabilize oils into water-based formulas. For locking the skin moisture and preventing dryness, this ingredient helps a lot.
This is a polymer that is used in skincare products to provide a smooth and silky texture. This also helps to improve the skin’s texture and appearance. This can help to provide a protective barrier to the skin by reducing dryness and flakiness.
8. Sodium Hyaluronate
Sodium hyaluronate and hyaluronic work almost the same for skincare. This can penetrate the skin better and can moisturize it from the inside. This can help to plump up the skin and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Moreover, it has also antioxidant properties that can help the skin that helps the skin from UV rays and pollution.
9. Lactic Acid
Lactic acid has the most amazing hydrating properties. It helps to remove dead skin cells and improve the skin’s texture and tone. It helps to make the skin smooth and fresh. Besides, it also contains properties that reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is very important to choose a sunscreen containing lactic acid.
Phenoxyethanol is a preservative used in sunscreen to prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms. It helps to make the active ingredients effective for a long time. This is a safe and gentle ingredient to use in any sunscreen.
✨ You May like: Body Butter Vs Lotion
Non-Vegan Ingredients Used in elta MD
There are also some non-vegan ingredients used in Elta Md. Some of them are as follows-
- Beeswax: This is a natural wax created by bees to store honey. This ingredient helps to moisturize and hydrate the skin from the inside. Beeswax also contains a natural emulsifier that helps to stabilize the skin.
- Glycerine: This is collected from animal sources that help to hydrate the skin This is a commonly used moisturizing ingredient that softens the skin. Besides its moisturizing and hydrating formula, it also helps to improve the skin barrier and treat irritated skin.
- Stearic Acid: It is mostly collected from the stomachs of cattle. Sometimes, it is derived from vegetable sources such as palm oil or coconut. This is a well-suited ingredient for all skin types.
elta MD’s Stance on Cruelty-Free Formula
Elta Md contains ingredients like beeswax and stearic acid that are not cruelty-free. Though they mentioned that they conduct tests on animals, they sell products in countries where animal testing is instructed by law. Some products of Elta Md don’t contain animal ingredients but most of them contain ingredients that are derived from animals.
On Elta Md’s website, they claim that they do not do animal testing and that their products are cruelty-free. They also added that they don’t sell products in a country that requires animal testing. Many of their products are made in cruelty-free formula. But It has been seen that they require animal tests for some of their products. For example- they sell their products in countries like China that require animal testing. So, it can be said that some of their products are cruelty-free while others are not depending on the region.
Cruelty-free Alternatives to elta MD
There are alternatives to Elta Md that are based on a cruelty-free formula. They are as follows-
1. Ghost Democracy
This is a vegan and cruelty-free skincare brand that is famous for skin care. The price is also affordable with a higher standard of skincare. This brand offers a range of skincare products that is gentle and effective for the skin. Harmful ingredients such as parabens and sulfates are avoided in this brand.
Versed is a famous brand that provides highly effective products at affordable prices. It offers products such as cleansers, moisturizers, sunblock, and others that work well on almost all skin types. This brand uses natural ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, etc.
This is also a famous skincare brand that uses pure and organic ingredients. This is good for sensitive skin as it contains ingredients that don’t cause skin irritation. Ingredients such as jojoba oil and rosehip are used in this brand that is not harmful. Their products are eco-friendly and give a natural and healthy glow.
4. Solara Sun care
Solara Sun Care also uses cruelty-free formulas. The ingredients it uses are very gentle and safe for the skin. Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide is used in this brand which provides sun protection and protects the skin from UV rays.
5. Skyn Iceland
This is a unique cruelty-free brand that uses the natural resources of Iceland from its mineral-rich-glacial water. This brand made products without using petroleum, parabens, mineral oil, and sulfates. This provides nature-based skincare products that are very healthy for the skin.
Elta Md contains a whopping 5 percent. This makes it easy to know why it is more expensive than others. Also, they are packaged in airless pumps or airless tubes. This unique method also made it more expensive than other sunscreens.
Elta Md contains Ceramides, Niacinamide, and antioxidants that protect the skin’s moisture and natural barrier. Besides, this also helps to repair skin damage and improve skin tone.
Elta Md can cause redness, swelling, or other skin infections. Before using this product, you must examine whether this is suited to your skin or not.
Elta Md sunscreen contains ingredients that help to moisturize the skin from the inside and diminish fine lines. This provides the best UV protection and helps the skin from sunburn. This can be used every day if maintained properly as it is healthy for the skin.
Elta Md is a skincare brand that provides a wide range of products like sunscreens, moisturizers, and others. This brand is committed to using effective ingredients in their skincare products. They use ingredients like hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and antioxidants to nourish the skin. Besides these ingredients, they also use some that are derived from animals. There are contradictions regarding its cruelty-free formula. Though they claim that they don’t do animal tests on their products and they are cruelty-free, Animal tests have been found in many of their products. So, their products are not completely cruelty-free. Rather, some of their products have cruelty-free formulas while others are tested on animals and are not cruelty-free.
- Elta Md is a famous brand that offers cleansers, sunscreens, and many other skincare products.
- This is recommended by many dermatologists and skincare specialists because of its high-quality product formulation.
- There are some factors to know about the cruelty-free formulas of any products. For example-cruelty-free certification or animal testing.
- Elta Md is a brand that claims its products to be cruelty-free. Still, some of them are found to involve animal testing.
- There are some cruelty-free alternatives that one can use such as Ghost Democracy, Versed, Pai, Solara Sun Care etc.
✨ Next Attraction: Does Hemp Lotion Have THC?