Table of Contents Show
The last thing that you want to have is itchy and scaly skin. This is caused by a condition called psoriasis. While the cause might be unknown, the most accepted theory for it is because of an immune system response that causes it to attack healthy skin Instead of healthy skin, what you end up is patches of red, irritated, and scaly skin on your body. Washing your body is important so most people prefer to use a gentle soap like Dove soaps on their skin.
But is Dove soap good for psoriasis? Dove soap contains some effective and gentle ingredients that make the skin smooth and soft. Dove uses natural oils that make it suitable for sensitive or dry skin people. Dove is a good soap for psoriasis because it doesn’t contain harsh chemicals that help to treat the psoriasis patches. In this article, you will find benefits like non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic nature, balanced PH, moisturizing formula, and so on.
Ingredients in Dove Soap
Dove soap is one of the most popular beauty bars that promise to moisturize and clean your skin at the same time. Dove soap contains some gentle ingredients that leave your skin smooth and soft at the same time. Dove soap contains natural oils that make it suitable for people with dry or sensitive skin. Dove brand also produces personal care products like shampoo or body wash. The ingredients that are found in Dove soap are-
- Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate: This is a surfactant that helps in cleansing the skin without scraping away dead skin cells. It is derived from coconut oil and works well on sensitive skin.
- Stearic Acid: This is a fatty acid derived from animals. Stearic acid has a creamy texture that moisturizes the skin. Stearic acid can also promote collagen production in your body.
- Sodium Tallowate or Sodium Palmitate: This is derived from vegetable or animal fats and works as a cleansing agent in the soap. This ingredient emulsifies the dirt and oil from your skin.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: This is a surfactant derived from coconut oil that creates a rich lather and cleanses the skin without any redness or irritation. It also hydrates the skin and prevents it from drying out.
- Titanium Dioxide: Titanium Dioxide is a commonly used ingredient in personal care products. It makes the Dove soap look transparent and white. It also protects your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Sodium Isethionate: Sodium Isethionate is an ingredient that helps to make the skin smoother and prevents it from drying out.
- Sodium Stearate: This is a fatty acid that works to develop the texture of the soap and lock the moisture.
- Lauric Acid: This is also an acid that works as Sodium Stearate; which means that it also develops the texture of the soap.
6 Benefits of Using Dove Soap for Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disorder that causes redness, inflammation, and itchiness on the skin. Dove soap has some benefits for Psoriasis:
- Non-Comedogenic: Dove soap is non-comedogenic. This is why, it helps with psoriasis patients as they have acne-prone skin and breakout problems.
- Gentle Cleansing: Dove soap has a very gentle and mild nature. This is the reason why this soap is so useful for people with psoriasis. This soap hydrate and nourish the skin which is very effective for individuals with psoriasis. Dove soap contains some natural oils that make it an ideal choice for people with Psoriasis.
- Hypoallergenic: Dove soap is hypoallergenic which means it can cause fewer allergic reactions. People with psoriasis have already sensitive skin and the hypoallergenic nature of Dove soap help prevent further irritation.
- Soothes and Calms Skin: Dove soap helps the skin to soothe and it can treat inflammation as well. Itching and redness are the common symptoms of Psoriasis that Dove soap can help in soothing.
- Balanced pH: Dove soap has a balanced PH. It is not too acidic, or alkaline. This controlled PH balance works well on people with psoriasis. Because a disrupted PH balance can cause further irritation.
- Moisturizing Formula: Dove soap has a good moisturizing formula that helps to keep the skin hydrated and prevent it from becoming flaky. This is so helpful for people with psoriasis who have extremely itchy and dry skin.
How to Use Dove Soap for Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition in which the skin cells are built up on the skin which leads to patches on the skin. There is no permanent cure for psoriasis. Still, there are some treatments available that manage the symptoms. Dove soap is one of the products that keep the skin hydrated and helps with psoriasis. Dove soap is part of our daily skincare routine that reduces inflammation and cleanses the skin. You may follow the following steps when using Dove soap for psoriasis:
- When taking a shower, use lukewarm water as hot water can dry out the skin and increase the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Don’t scrub or rub your skin when cleansing with Dove soap. Scrubbing can irritate your skin.
- Use lukewarm water and wash off the soap thoroughly.
- Without rubbing your skin too hard, dry it gently with a soft towel.
- After taking a bath, apply a moisturizer so that your skin gets hydrated.
Dove soap is very gentle in nature and does not contain harsh chemicals which don’t irritate the psoriasis patches. There are some moisturizing ingredients available in this soap that soothe itchy and dry skin.
Side-effects of Using Dove Soap for Psoriasis
Dove soap is considered suitable for people with psoriasis. But, there are some potential side effects of Dove soap for psoriasis since it is caused by an autoimmune disease that you should know about before using it. They are:
1. Skin Irritation
Though Dove soap is non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic, this can cause skin irritation or itching in some people with psoriasis. When this happens, stop using the Dove soap and consult with a skin specialist to use another medicated soap.
2. Allergic Reactions
Some of the ingredients of Dove soap can cause an allergic reaction in psoriasis patients. This may not happen with all but some may experience symptoms of itching, rash, or swelling. Stop using the soap if you are experiencing any of the symptoms and go for medical treatments.
Dove soap has the best hydrating and moisturizing formula. Despite this, the excessive use of Dove soap can cause dryness and increase the psoriasis symptoms such as irritation or redness.
4. Interference with Psoriasis Treatments
Though Dove soap is good for psoriasis, it can interfere with the psoriasis treatments with a few patients. This interference may make the situation worse for the psoriasis patients.
Safety Considerations When Using Dove Soap for Psoriasis
It is very important to use safe and effective products for psoriasis. When you are using Dove soap for psoriasis, you need to take some precautions and follow the safety measures:
- Psoriasis requires mild and gentle soap. So make sure the Dove soap that you are using has no harsh chemicals in it.
- As a safety consideration, you need to check whether Dove soap has fragrance because fragrance leads to worse conditions in Psoriasis. Dove is a fragrance-free soap that makes it the perfect choice for people with psoriasis.
- For people with psoriasis, look for the ingredients that have the best moisturizing formula. Dove soap contains a hydrating formula that helps soothe the skin with psoriasis.
Who Should Not Use Dove Soap for Psoriasis?
Dove soap is a suitable option to treat people with psoriasis. Yet, Some people with psoriasis should avoid using this soap.
- People who are allergic to any of the ingredients of Dove soap should avoid using this though they have psoriasis.
- People who have sensitive skin can face skin irritation or discomfort. So, if anyone has sensitive skin but wants to use Dove soap for psoriasis, they need to consult with a dermatologist before using this soap.
- Some people prefer using completely natural products, Dove soap may not be a good option for them as all the ingredients are not organic or natural.
It is very difficult to predict how long psoriasis will last and whether it can be recovered. This varie4 from person to person. Some may recover themselves from psoriasis within a month while others may require a year.
Dove is still one of the best personal care products. It is a recommended brand for bars, body wash, shampoo, conditioners, and so on. The soaps or shampoos of this brand got popularity because of the quality they are maintaining.
The normal soap has a high PH while Dove has a neutral PH that helps to avoid any damage to the skin. It cares for your skin and adds some nutrients that moisturize and soothe the skin.
Dove is a gentle soap that is designed for all types of skin. It contains no harsh chemicals that can dry out your skin. The moisturizing formula of this soap makes it an ideal choice for people with dry skin.
Other soaps make the skin dry. Dove soap contains some ingredients that also brighten the skin with a soft and glowing finish.
Dove is a well-renowned brand that offers personal care products like shampoo, soap, and conditioner. Dove soap is one of the most well-known products from the Dove brand. This is a very mild soap with some gentle ingredients. The ingredients found in Dove soap are very gentle and effective to make the skin hydrated and healthy. Dove soap is good for psoriasis because it is non-comedogenic and soothes the skin. This is a gentle cleanser with balanced PH that can help treat people with psoriasis. There are also some side-effects of using Dove soap in people with psoriasis that include people who are allergic to this soap ingredient or people who have sensitive skin. Above all, Dove soap is a go-to choice for people with psoriasis as it has almost all the properties that are needed to treat the psoriasis patient.
- Dove is an original beauty bar that has a gentle cleansing and moisturizing formula.
- This brand offers personal care products like shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.
- Dove soap contains ingredients and formulations that help to reduce inflammation, irritation, or itching.
- Dove soap is considered good for psoriasis because it is non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic and it has a balanced PH that makes it suitable for psoriasis.
- People who are allergic to the ingredients of Dove soap or have sensitive skin should avoid using Dove soap even if they have psoriasis.