Table of Contents Show
- What is a Spray Tan?
- How Long Does A Spray Tan Take to Develop?
- 5 Factors Influencing the Development Period of Spray Tan
- 4 Ways to Speed Up Spray Tan’s Development
- Necessary Tips for A Spray Tan
- Final Thoughts
- Key Points
A lot of newer techniques of tanning are being introduced day by day to help tan lovers. Getting a perfect tan is possible with sunless self-tanners, self-tanning bronzers, tanning beds, tanning pills, airbrush tanning, and spray tans. An excellent way to achieve a sun-kissed glow without the harmful effects of UV rays is with a spray tan. Whether you’re preparing for a special occasion or simply want to enhance your natural beauty, a spray tan can give you that radiant, bronzed look you desire. From the moment you step out with the aim of a spray tan to the point where your spray tan reaches its peak, you need to look after a lot of factors.
But, How Long Does A Spray Tan Take To Develop? This article will help you with the necessary time for the development of spray tan on your skin. Let’s discover the factors that influence how quickly your tan develops and a few ways to speed up the development of a spray tan!
What is a Spray Tan?
A spray tan is a form of self-tan or sunless tan. It gives a tanned skin appearance without exposure to the sun or UV radiation from tanning beds. The artificial method involves applying a specially formulated solution to the skin using a spray gun or misting device. The solution contains an active ingredient called dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which is a colorless sugar that interacts with the amino acids in the top layer of the skin, resulting in a temporary bronzing effect. The effect lasts for 3-7 days and is safe for the skin. Several celebrities and models go for a spray tan on their skin rather than any other method!
How Long Does A Spray Tan Take to Develop?
There are variations in spray tan and the time those take to develop varies too. Some people may see color immediately after their spray tan session, with the final result appearing darker over time as the DHA, the active ingredient in most spray tans continues to react with the skin’s amino acids. Let’s find out the speed of development of traditional spray tan, accelerated tan, express tan, darker tans, and light and medium tans.
- Traditional Spray Tan: A traditional spray tan takes about 8 to 12 hours to fully develop on the skin.
- Accelerated Tan: An accelerated tan takes about 1 to 5 hours to develop. While for full development of spray tan, you will need a period of 24 hours.
- Express Tan: The speed of development of an express tan is the fastest. It only takes 1 to 3 hours to develop such a special type of tan.
- Darker Tans: Darker tans usually takes 8 to 10 hours.
- Light and Medium Tans: Light and medium tans usually take 6 to 8 hours to develop.
So, a spray tan takes an average of 12 to 24 hours to develop. In the end, even if spray tans develop within 1 or 2 hours, those will gradually darken over the next 24-48 hours.
5 Factors Influencing the Development Period of Spray Tan
The development period of a spray tan varies but it depends on 5 factors mainly, such as the type of products, adequate use of products, skin type, skin tone, and preferred darkness of tan. While the skin pH levels, air temperature, humidity levels, etc. are some additional factors that influence the development period of this particular type of tan. The main factors are briefly discussed.
1. Type of Products
The development period of spray tans also depends on the type of products. Some products of spray tan can develop within 2 hours only. But some products take 24 hours to develop. So, it is better to check the product label to know the period of development as well as wait before taking a shower or swimming.
2. Adequate Use of Products
The adequate use of products is necessary for the development of a spray tan. Ensure adequate use of fake tanning products while applying those to your body. Apply it in a circular motion, making sure to evenly cover all surfaces. Use a self-tanning mitt to apply the product more evenly over your skin if you have trouble getting your fake tan to develop properly. If you fail to do so, the development of tanning will become slower.
3. Skin Type
The development period of spray tans may depend on your skin type. Dry skins usually take a longer time for the development of the tan. On the other hand, oily skins make the spray tan develop quickly. Also, there are different formulations to suit different skin types.
4. Skin Tone
Depending on the person’s natural skin tone, the development period of spray tans can change. For instance, persons with darker skin tones might discover that it takes longer for their spray tan to become effective compared to people with lighter skin tones. This is because different types of skin react differently to the DHA in the tanning solution. But typically, it takes 12 to 24 hours for most people to notice the full effects of their spray tans.
5. Preferred Darkness of Tan
The darkness of tan you prefer influences the development period of spray tan. If you prefer a lighter color, the tan will develop within 1 or 2 hours. While you have to wait for the recommended period before removing any extra product from the skin. As a result, you can ensure an even color distribution over the whole area. On the other hand, if you prefer a darker color, you have to go for multiple applications for a few days. Each layer will take 5 to 6 hours to fix before the upcoming application which gives the product the required period for absorption. It leads to intense darkness of the tan.
4 Ways to Speed Up Spray Tan’s Development
It is possible to speed up the development of spray tan. By pre-exfoliating the skin, utilizing useful products, wearing suitable clothes, staying away from swimming, or exercising speed up the development of spray tan to a great extent. These 4 ways are explained.
1. Exfoliate the skin
Before using any fake tanning products, exfoliate your skin to remove any dead skin cells that could obstruct the method and give your tan an uneven appearance. It also enhances the skin’s absorption of the DHA in the tanning solution. Your tan may not be developing evenly if you don’t exfoliate because you’re only dying the dead skin cells.
2. Utilize useful products: tan accelerator and hair drier
Another way to speed up the development of spray tan is to use a self-tanning accelerator. It has ingredients for the speedy development of the spray tan. Using a hair drier on the cool setting on the parts of your skin where you applied self-tanner will also give a quick development. This results in drying out any moisture on your skin and improve the penetration of the DHA in the tanning solution.
3. Wear suitable clothes
It is important to consider the tan lines that would remain after your tan while choosing what to wear. Loose-fitting clothes are suitable to wear during a spray tan. Wear those so that the uniform coverage on various sections of the body does not disrupt. Avoid wearing tight clothes, such as jeans, leggings, sweatpants, etc. while the tan is still developing as it slows down the rate of development. The women are free to wear any amount of clothing or to go fully naked. They can put on disposable strapless bras and thongs. Men are required to wear their preferred undergarments.
4. Stay away from swimming, or exercising
You should stay away from swimming, and exercising for at least 8 hours as your spray tan develops. If you don’t follow this instruction, your tan may develop unevenly or may even be totally washed away. So be sure to avoid the swimming pool, and beach while your spray tan is developing, as well as any physical activity.
✨ You May like: Top 10 Best Protein Powder For Acne-Prone Skin In 2023
Necessary Tips for A Spray Tan
These are some of the necessary tips you need to follow before, during, or after a spray tan.
- Exfoliate and moisturize your body regularly for an even and flawless tan.
- Wait for at least 8 to 10 hours of spray tan to shower.
- Use a light moisturizer on the body after a shower.
- Avoid waxing and other body treatments like facials, and massage.
- Do not use body oils that lead the tan to disintegrate.
- Do not panic during rinsing off your tan.
When you sprayed and waited the recommended amount of time and still no tan developed, there was probably any sort of obstacle on your skin. Heavy soaps, PH balancers, moisturizers, fragrances, and even exfoliator residue could be among those.
Depending on the ingredients, different blends will reach their color development peaks at different periods. With a DHA combination, some will be totally darkened within 12 to 24 hours. While others, most frequently found when a product also contains erythrulose self-tanning activities, can take 24, 48, or 72 hours for darkening.
While going through spray tanning for the first time, it is better to avoid making significant arrangements for the rest of the day. Although you’ll probably appear to be perfectly fine, you might still want to go home and hide. Depending on the brand, the natural tone of your skin, and how quickly your skin takes to tan the effects of a spray tan appear good.
Your spray tan gets darker and darker as the day or night changes. The DHA reacts with the amino acids in the skin, which results in its darkening. When the DHA reaches those, it begins to grow and turn brown to develop. Within a period of 4 hours, DHA begins to develop on the skin.
You can have a spray tan as frequently as you like. But come with a gap of every 9 to 12 days so that you have time to enjoy the tan you already have. You can also exfoliate, and get ready for your next appointment. You can keep your spray tan even by following a good routine applicable to taking care of spray tan.
Spray tans develop to give excellent results. Different types of spray tan like traditional spray tan, accelerated tan, express tan, darker tan, and light and medium tan take different periods to develop. While a spray tan takes 12 to 24 hours on average to develop. Although some spray tans develop within a short time, those will take 24-48 hours to gradually darken. Remember that different types of tan will take their own time but it usually rounds out to a day or two at most. So, with the help of a spray tan, achieve the perfect bronzed sun-kissed glow you’ve always desired!
- A spray tan is a form of self-tan or sunless tan which gives a tanned skin appearance without exposure to the sun or UV radiation from tanning beds. The artificial method involves applying a specially formulated solution to the skin using a spray gun or misting device.
- A traditional spray tan takes about 8 to 12 hours, an accelerated tan takes about 1 to 5 hours, an express tan takes 1 to 3 hours, darker tans takes 8 to 10 hours, and light and medium tans take 6 to 8 hours to develop.
- The adequate use of products is necessary for the development of a spray tan. Ensure adequate use of fake tanning products while applying those to your body. Apply it in a circular motion, making sure to evenly cover all surfaces.
- Depending on the person’s natural skin tone, the development period of spray tans can change. It takes a longer period for dark-skinned persons for their spray tan to become effective, unlike lighter-skinned persons.
- One of the ways to speed up spray tan development is to use a self-tanning accelerator or hair drier. A self-tanning accelerator contains ingredients for quick development, while a hair drier on cool settings ensures quick application.
- Stay away from swimming, and exercising for at least 8 hours after the development of spray tan. Otherwise, you may develop an uneven tan or it may even be totally washed away.
✨ Next Attraction: Should I Use PanOxyl In The Morning Or Night?