Table of Contents Show
- Types of hair
- Other factors that influence hair care
- Basic hair care tips for all kinds of hair
- Hair care tips for straight hair
- Hair care tips for wavy hair
- Hair care tips for curly hair
- DIY hair care tips and treats
- Hair care tips: products for every hair type
- Products for straight hair
- Products for wavy hair
- Products for curly hair
If You want to dig deep into your overall hair care regime and are determined to know all the basics of hair care tips, welcome to the club! There are so many products on the market and tips for proper hair care that it is common to get lost in all these. And this is why we have decided to break down each hair type and accumulate information on those hair types.
Some might call it a blessing, but for my sake, I always thought it was more confusing with the entire hair care tips and regimes. And if I scroll through Facebook or Instagram, there are tons of recommendations of products from influencers and YouTubers. You will stumble on how many products you should purchase for healthy hair care.
But the main theme is to find what suits you the most. There are different sorts of hair and different products for those hair care tips, so we’ll include all of the basics of hair and hair care tips, along with some products that might help you get better results. Oh, and we’ll also add some DIY stuff if you want it all organic and free.
Types of hair
Hair is comprised of two different elements. And those two structures are the key to what type of hair you have. The first one is the strand of hair you have or the length of the hair. And the next one is the hair follicles. The shape of the follicles is different depending on your hair type. The follicles or shafts can be further divided into cells like the hair cortex, central medulla, etc.
The shape of the follicles of each hair is decided when a person is in embryonic development, and the key fact that shapes the hair is genetics. Each hair will grow for 3 to 5 years; then, it will go into a resting phase for a few more months and eventually fall out. Again, when hair growth starts, the hair follicles do not change their shape, and thus the type or structure of the hair won’t change either.
There are four major types of hair, and this is based on the curliness of the person’s hair. And all of this can further be divided into three hair types.
Categorization of hair
1. Straight hair
- Very Straight
- Some Bend
- Coarser Hair
2. Wavy hair
- Fine Wave
- More Defined Waves
- Well Defined Waves
3. Curly hair
- Loose Curls
- Tight Curls
- Spring Curls
4. Curly or kinky hair
- Loose Coils
- Zigzag Coils
- Tight Coils
Other factors that influence hair care
Aside from the type of hair you have, other factors influence what hair care tips you should use.
- The Density Of Hair
- Hair Thickness
- The Porosity Of Hair
- Color Of Hair
The density of hair
Hair density is usually referred to as the number of hairs a person has. You don’t have to count, but they should be uncountable for high-density hairs.
This is also known as the structure of the hair. Hair structures can be purchased from:
Hair thickness varies from person to person. You can have a low density of hair, but the thickness of hair might still be high, and thus your head might look like a flourished bouquet. But with age and diseases, people’s hair grows finer.
The porosity of hair
Hair porosity depends on moisture absorption, and the pores on the hair’s cuticle layer decide how much moisture the hair can hold. Hair is naturally porous, like every other natural fiber. So when you see someone with heavily bleached hair and they have hair damage, the hair will take ages to dry down naturally. So you might want to avoid using harsh chemicals on your hair.
Color of hair
Now that we’ve decided what kind of hair you have, you might also want to determine some hair care tips according to your hair color. There are five major hair colors for human hair, but you also need to consider shades of hair color.
- Black hair
- Brown hair
- Blond hair
- White hair
- Grey hair
- Red hair
Basic hair care tips for all kinds of hair
If you want to go with hair care tips in-depth, let’s get into some basic hair care routines that you might already know about. The basics of hair care tips are similar for all hair types, structures, and colors.
Here we include a step-by-step guide for hair care tips, which only includes some basics.
Step 1: Shampoo
You can start with the shampoo first. There is no limit to the amount of shampoo you can use and how many times you should wash your hair. Shampoos are the kinds of soap that are made to remove oils from the scalp. If you have oily skin, you might need to use shampoo more than once. Just ensure you don’t strip every bit of oil from your scalp. Also, instead of concentrating on the length of the hair, concentrate on the scalp.
Step 2: Conditioner
You can use a hair mask instead of shampoo here. But please ensure that your conditioner/hair mask has all the balanced ingredients. Otherwise, the hair will be brittle instead of healthy. Conditioner should be used on the length of the hair instead of the scalp, and you should use it right after you use a shampoo.
Step 3: Hair drying
The best way to dry hair is to let it dry naturally. Indirect heat from a blow dryer on wet hair can damage the hair, and in severe cases, you might end up burning your hair. So when you have time, use the natural drying method. Also, if you use a blow dryer, use it on a low heat setting and use it at a distance of 15 cm. You can use a microfiber towel.
Step 4: Detangling Or brushing
Brush your hair while you’re showering. If you brush out your damp hair, the chances of hair breakage are very high. So start with a wide-tooth comb to detangle the hair properly. Instead of using a plastic comb, use wooden combs, which don’t generate static electricity on the hair.
Hair care tips for straight hair
If you’re one of those lucky people with straight hair like a stick or straight hair with a slight bend, you might want to try the hair care tips and treats we’ve included here. But the misconception about straight hair is that you don’t have to put in a lot of effort. How about the volume and density of the hair? If someone has very straight hair, chances are they don’t have enough volume, and their hair looks thin.
Hair care tips require daily maintenance because they absorb more oil, dirt, and moisture.
10 Hair care tips for straight hair
Here we are including some hair tips for straight hair and all its varieties.
- Mild shampoo: use a shampoo that doesn’t contain any sulfate, and make sure to wash your hair daily. The shampoo will clean up the scalp and ensure no oil build-up. Fine and straight hair tends to scream more the minute they start to get oily, making the hair sleeker, which isn’t pleasant. You can use a clarifying shampoo once a week.
- Detangle: you also need to detangle while you are doing your shampoo and conditioner. A wide-toothed comb should be used in the shower, and don’t brush the hair until it is completely dry.
- Condition: Moisturizing conditioners are the preferable products when you have naturally straight hair. The usage of the conditioner depends on what kind of hair and scalp you have. Conditioners should be avoided on oily scalps and used only on the length.
- Simple Hair Styling: We recommend using natural methods instead of heat tools when it comes to excessive hair styling tools and methods. Blowing drying will surely give you some volume at the top, but it can also be damaging. As a result, only use hot styling tools on rare occasions.
- Hair product application: Avoid using too many hair products at once. Too many hair products like hair serums, moose, or heat protectants will weigh down your hair. And try to use volumizing products.
- Trims: you don’t have to get trims every six months, but if you have split ends, try to trim out the part. It’ll make your hair look healthy and natural.
- Static Protectant: winter or cold can be a reason that your hair generates static force, and this might damage your hair and can even lead to split ends. You can just spray a bit of static guard on the comb or use a static-free comb to get good results.
- Diet: if you have oily skin all over, chances are that your skin is also oily. So, to avoid access to oil build-up, eat a healthy diet that includes more greens and fruits.
- Dry shampoo: most people do not recommend showering and washing your hair more often. And as an alternative hair care tip for straight hair, you can use a volumizing dry shampoo on your scalp and roots.
- Volume Boost: When you have straight and thin hair, the best you can do is add volume to your hair using a texturizing spray. And then, you can use the dryer to blow it upwards from the roots.
Hair care tips for wavy hair
Wavy hair is one of those hairstyles that are appropriate for any occasion and time. So, if you have long locks of wavy hair, you just need enough products to make the waves consistent without burdening them. But due to their unique texture, you can get a very sleek and classy look with wavy hair.
10 Hair care tips for wavy hair:
Here we are including some hair care tips for wavy hair, including how you can style the waves.
- Shampoo: first, you’ll need to choose a shampoo that is specially made for wavy hair, so it’ll be able to hold the hair texture. You can only use a limited amount of shampoo at a time, or the hair will get frizzy. Concentrate on the scalp and only the last quarter of the hair length. Avoid shampoos with sulfates to avoid frizzy and brittle hair.
- Conditioner: whenever you use a shampoo, include a conditioner or a hair mask. If you’re buying shampoo from one brand, pairing it with a conditioner from the same brand often gets the best results. Otherwise, conditioners for curly hair will work just fine for wavy hair.
- Use cold water: Hot showers might be your thing, but they are not good for wavy hair, and they’ll frizz up the hair, and you might also lose moisture. A cold shower will help you lock in the moisture from shampoo and conditioner.
- Drying: If you want your natural waves to peak through, comb your hair while in the shower and dry it with a towel. And put it in a bun or pony before bed to maintain the soft curls.
- Styling: you shouldn’t use too much hot air or dryer as it can burn your damp hair. Instead, go for air drying. And if you must use a hot styling tool, ensure to include heat protectants.
- Use a hair diffuser: Hair diffusers are designed specifically for curly and wavy hair and tend to maintain natural curls without breaking them. But use the diffuser on a low setting.
- Less Combing: For the next part, you need to avoid too much combing. Combing too much will cause breakage in your hair. And if you use a dense brush, it’ll end up breaking the curls and ruining the shape. Instead, use your fingers for detangling.
- Moose products: you can use Moose products to control frizz and waves. But start with a little bit and scrunch the products. And also, divide your hair into smaller sections.
- Avoid styling tools: if you have wavy hair, there is no need to use a curler or a straightener. All you need to do is to acknowledge your natural hair shape.
- Oils: oils, after drying and styling, will lock in the hair’s moisture. Use a small amount of argan oil.
Hair care tips for curly hair
Curly hair has unique characteristics, and people with curls have some natural volume. But it can be challenging to maintain, as with managing the hair. For most of us, curly hair may seem like an untamable experience, and when you have curls that behave, you have a good hair day. But the lines between a good curly hair day and a bad day don’t have to be so thin. All you have to do is learn how to style your curly hair and find possible solutions to how to deal with it.
Curly hair doesn’t mean that they need to go through vigorous styling and products; it simply means you need shaped curls and a clean scalp.
10 hair care tips for curly hair
Here we are including some hair care tips for curly hair, and this will also help you with managing the overall hair texture and even with the curls.
- Use oils: natural oils like argan oil or coconut oil are full of antioxidants and fatty acids, and vitamins. They help to improve the regrowth of moisture in the hair. Hair tends to be dry, so you can just massage some oil into your scalp to improve blood circulation and hair growth.
- Hair mask: pre-treatment with a hair mask will avoid any frizz. Apply a hair mask right before shampooing, and use it by sectioning your hair and coating each section at once. At least leave the products on your hair for 20 minutes and use a shower cap to trap moisture.
- Proper shampoo: this is almost the first step in hair care tips for curly hair. You must remove the oil build-up and dead skin cells from the scalp. So use shampoos that are free of parabens, sulfates, and alcohol. You can dilute your shampoo first to avoid using excessive products all at once.
- Brushing: you shouldn’t use a brush on your curly hair, and you must do all the detangling before shampooing. Run your fingers through the hair while you wash it, and then leave it to air dry without touching it. Otherwise, the curls will break.
- Avoid the heat: if you’re using a hair dryer or a diffuser, you need to use it in a shallow setting to avoid any damage to the curls. Heat protectant spray is a must.
- Comb: you need to use a wide-toothed comb. And start using the detangler from the bottom and then go up to remove the knots. Go with gentle handling, as each curl has a potential breaking point.
- Cold water: hot or warm water will strip the natural oils from your hair and will leave it dry. Cold rinses are best when it comes to curly hair care tips.
- Trim: curly hair also requires regular trimming for healthy growth. You can get rid of split ends and damaged hair in this way.
- Pineapple: This is the most common sleep routine for curly hair. You can choose to have a lot of hair piled up into a ponytail or bun. Thus, there will be less friction between the hair and the fabric. Make sure that the bun is not too tight. Use silk or satin pillow covers.
- Avoid using one product for all: avoid using the same products for all. Even a built-in shampoo conditioner should be avoided altogether. And choose products that are made for your curly hair type.
✨ You May like: How to Style Woman’s Hair
DIY hair care tips and treats
Here we are including some DIY hair care tips where you can just run to the pantry and get the ingredients. They are natural products and have no harmful effects on the hair or scalp.
Oil and Vinegar
If you are noticing duller and lifeless hair without any shine, then you can just use oils like rosemary oil with apple cider vinegar to brighten the hair.
- Take two to three drops of rosemary oil and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Combine it.
- Apply it to the hair and rinse.
This is the most common system used in Asian households where they use hot water rinse at the end of the shower. Rice water contains antioxidants, vitamin E, vitamin B, minerals, and amino acids.
- Use one or two cups of rice and rinse it properly. Use uncooked rice.
- Add water to the rice water accordingly.
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with rice-rinsed water.
Yogurt Hair Mask
Yogurt is rich in lactic acid, which plays a key role in moisture and controls frizz. You can use lime, avocado, or seaweed oil for different needs. It’ll help you with hair strength, shine, and pH balance.
You can use an egg mask for your hair. Egg yolk will act as a source of fatty acids, whereas the whites are a source of protein and enzymes and will work as a natural shampoo.
Bananas are high in potassium and silica, which will eventually help in collagen production, increasing hair strength and making the hair thicker. Banana also helps with a dry and itchy scalp.
Tea helps with the rejuvenation of the hair shine, and you can use it as a rinsing method after shampoo.
Hair care tips: products for every hair type
Here we will be including some products that you can use regularly.
Products for straight hair
Shampoo And Conditioner: Tresemme Beauty-full Strength Shampoo And Conditioner, Biolage Total Density Shampoo And Conditioner
Hair Mask: Sexy Hair Calm Feelin’ It Strengthening Self-warming Mask, Color Wow X Chris Appleton Money Masque
Dry Shampoo: Living-proof Advanced Clean, Dry Shampoo
Volumizer: Verb Volume Dry Texture Spray
Products for wavy hair
Shampoo and conditioner: dove amplified textures sulfate-free moisturizing shampoo and conditioner
Hair mask: Sahascalp wild ginger purifying scrub
Oil: Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Hair Oil
Products for curly hair
Shampoo: Kristin Ess Ultra Hydrating Curl Co-wash
Conditioner: Ouai Leave-in Conditioner
Hair Moose: Rucker Roots Texture Styling Mousse
Hair Cream: Bread Beauty Supply Hair Cream
More than one thing will help your hair grow faster in general. We include some of them here:
Use of essential oils
Do a proper and balanced diet
Use no heat on hair
Oils are full of fatty acids and nutrients. You can use oils for different needs, and we mention the five best hair oils.
Argan oil, etc.
Hair care tips can be passed from one generation to the next. For example, when I was little, my mother used to nag me about not tying my hair too hard, as it could cause a breakout. And she insisted that I wear a swimming cap in the pool, even though I have pictures of me crying that I don’t want a cap. These are just some essential hair care tips that have been circling for a long time. But in today’s time, we have more access to information and products than in previous generations. So we might do our best to get our hands on the best products for suitable skin types.
✨ Next Attraction: Hair Types: The Ultimate Guide