Table of Contents Show
- What Causes Dark Lips?
- How To Prevent Dark Lips?
- How To Lighten Your Dark Lips?
- Lip Lightener for Dark Lips
- 1. Kiehl’s Lip Balm
- 2. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer
- 3. Forest Essential Lip Balm Sugared Rose Petal
- 4. Boutique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm
- 5. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
- 6. Bio derma Lipstick-Atoderm
- 7. Tacha Kissu Lip Mask
- 8. Pacifica Glow Baby Brightening Peel Pads
- 9. Noonu Korean Lip Oil- Appleberry
- 10. Burt’s Bees
- DIY Lip Lightener For Dark Lips
We don’t need rosy or even pink lips; we just want something that looks natural. The lips should feel and look natural, and no underlining dark patches on a natural look doesn’t look good. Even when you use lipstick or any color on pigmented lips, they change the color.
And this is how pigmentation works. Dark lips can be a real downer, regardless of gender, and you might just get afraid of presenting yourself properly with dark lips.
Like all general populations, I suffered from pigmented lips in my teenage years. And there is hardly any remedy left that I haven’t tried yet. The most crucial thing regarding pigmented lips is that they affect self-confidence.
So after some initial benefits from home remedies, I turned to lip masks and lip balms. And they are easy to keep up with as most of them are store-bought, and we hardly ever get any time at home to make dinner, let alone a remedy.
If you want to go with recipes at home for a lip lightener for dark lips, you might start with the products you have at hand. They are primarily natural and won’t be very harsh on your lips. But the results might be a bit late. And if you want a general store-bought cosmetic lip lightener for dark lips.
Lip lightener for dark lips are pretty versatile, and depending on how you use them, they can be used in other ways too. But if you have any medical condition, like hyperpigmentation, we suggest opting for a specialist rather than trying things at home. But if you think the problems aren’t a big deal, you can stick with some of the products we’ve included later in the article. So buckle up!
What Causes Dark Lips?
There are several conditions and reasons for dark skin. One of the important reasons for dark lips is medical reasons, and another is lifestyle karma. People often have habits that initially change the color of their lips, which are pretty standard as well.
1. Medical Terms
The most common cause for dark lips is hyperpigmentation, and you will be unable to change the lip color by using some physical treatment. You might have to see a skin specialist to treat the root cause of the disease. Here we are including some of the common medical reasons for darker lips.
- Vitamin Deficiency
- Use of fluoride
These are the common reasons, and besides them, you might also have some problems that can be medically diagnosed. If your lifestyle changes don’t affect the lip color change, we suggest getting a skin disease diagnosis before trying anything else.
Addison’s disease is a common cause of dark spots on the skin, gums, and lips because It inhibits the adrenal glands’ ability to produce hormones.. The lips can look blue or purple with this.
Darker patches on the skin or, in our case, on the lips or the surrounding lip area are medically termed hyperpigmentation. These can be triggered by excess melanin production, and several reasons initiate or trigger the problem. And this is why people with medium to dark skin tones generally suffer from hyperpigmentation.
Acne scars, environmental pollution, hormones, erratic weather, etc., can sensitize the melanin production around the lips. Lack of hydration and excessive sun exposure can also be the reasons. Whatever the reason, maybe hyperpigmentation is a treatable medical term.
If you have a cancer diagnosis, then you might suffer from darkened lips and dark patches on the skin right after chemo. Chemo is used in different forms to kill cancer cells, and in this way, they harm and weaken some of the other body parts.
This is a very effective treatment; the side effects are visible to the eyes. The amount of chemotherapy you receive and the stage of your cancer might also affect your dark lips. Chemo affects many other things, and dark lips should be the least of your concern. And once you enter the healing process, your skin will get better.
This is the deficiency of red blood cells in the body, and these blood cells often carry oxygen to the organs. One of the most prevalent symptoms of anemia is fatigue and shortness of breath.. More than one billion people worldwide suffer from anemia, and if you’re suffering from any chronic disease, the chances of anemia also increase. Dark lips and skin problems like brittle nails are one of the symptoms of anemia.
If your body lacks certain minerals and vitamins, then dark lips will be a prevalent problem. The following nutrients are deficient in the body, resulting in dark lips:
- Vitamin B
Iron deficiency can be connected to anemia, leading to angular cheilitis, where the mouth gets parched and inflames on both sides of the lips. Zinc is related to the immune system, and irritation and dryness around the mouth are also widespread with zinc. The absence of vitamins can affect sort of celiac diseases and Chrons disease. So mouth dryness is overall.
2. Lifestyle Causes
There are several other reasons, mainly when habits and lifestyle change occur. Some prevalent reasons are Lifestyle wise, and that’s why you can just use physical products to treat them. The everyday Lifestyle causes of darker lips are:
- Smoking and alcohol
These are just the common ones, and they need to start taking the necessary steps in their eating and drinking habits to sort out the problems.
Lack of water is a widespread reason for dark lips. So you need something hydrating to keep up with the patchiness. In the long term, the lips might get more dehydrated and dark.
Some medicines have the side effect of hyperpigmentation. And if you’re facing problems as such and on regular medication, then you might want to wait and let the impact of the medication go away before trying any treatment for the darkened lips. Over-the-counter drugs and medicines without any medical prescription can also cause pigmentation. Again, before using any lip lightener for dark lips, try and consult a specialist.
Alcohol and smoking
Tobacco is a ubiquitous product that leaves dark spots on the lips if taken daily. Heavy drinking can lead to dehydration and thus dark lips, and nicotine and benzopyrene can sensitize the melanin production of the skin.
This is the most common problem women face, which is why people ask you to swatch it before you use it regularly. Lips are 5 times more sensitive than the rest of the skin, and allergenic products on lipsticks, dye, toothpaste and makeup will leave a dark spot eventually. Irritation is very common with such treatments.
How To Prevent Dark Lips?
Now that we’ve included most of the reasons why dark lips can trigger us, we’ve included some lifestyle changes that will not require any of the products, like lip lightener for dark skin products. But once you make these changes, you will not need any DIY or store-bought items. Here are some steps that will ensure pretty lips.
- Lip Balms
1. Lip Balms
If you have very dark skin, we suggest using an overnight lip mask and a lip balm regularly. It’ll hydrate the skin and keep the hydration on even when you’re wearing makeup on top. At least use the balms three times a day.
UV rays trigger melanin the most, and the same thing is true of lips. So you need to use sunscreen outdoors and indoors. And also, make sure to buy a lip product with built-in SPF.
If you have too much dehydration, we recommend using coconut or olive oil on the lips and rubbing it in well. And if you have super sensitive skin, just use lip oil and keep it overnight. This will give you healthier-looking lips, and you can mix oil with balms.
You don’t need a fancy lip exfoliator to eliminate the dead skin cells. Make sure to use a very hydrating and gentle exfoliator on the lips at least twice a week. Sugar and honey are one of the best DIY remedies as a lip exfoliator.
How To Lighten Your Dark Lips?
There is more than one way that you can lighten your lips, and we are including some of the three most popular ways to lighten your lips in general. However, we do not recommend bleaching your lips, as it can trigger some medical problems. But the other two ways are common, and we will elaborate on the lip lightener for the dark lips segment eventually.
Using Bleaching Cream
Bleaches are frequently regarded as the enemy of the skin and other lines, and most people avoid any product containing bleach. And we will not disagree completely. But if you want quick results with your lip lightener, this is the best way to go. Here are some facts about bleaching cream that you must know:
- Do not use and scrub or exfoliator while you use a bleaching cream on your lips.
- Ensure that the cream contains hydroquinone as a bleaching agent, which is not too harsh on the lips.
- The cream needs to contain 2% or fewer active ingredients.
- You cannot leave the cream for more than twelve hours.
- Use SPF while doing chores outside.
Bleaching creams may cause long-term problems for your skin, and skin cancer is one of the most common threats. It might lighten your skin, but it can also cause dehydration and irritation if used for a long time.
The KTP laser, or the potassium titanyl phosphate laser, is mostly used in treating hyperpigmentation. These only effects the dark skin cells and don’t leave a scar. Some of the facts about laser treatment are:
- KTP laser is perfect for every skin tone as it doesn’t affect melanin.
- This will not leave any scars.
- You can get the whole treatment done in two to three sessions.
It will only change the exterior color of the skin, but it won’t change the reason that is affecting the problem in general.
Lip Lightener for Dark Lips
And lastly, we have a quick solution which will be perfect if you want a gentle treatment and the cause of the dark lips is due to a habit rather than a medical condition. So use some lip lighteners to get rid of the darkness eventually. And we tried to include the best lip lighteners so you can have the best possible results.
- Best of all: Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
- Best as lip mask: Tacha Kissu Lip Mask
- Most affordable: Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer
- Best as exfoliant: Pacifica Glow Baby Brightening Peel Pads
- Good for everyday use: Bio derma Lipstick-Atoderm
None of the lip lightener for dark lips we included here are nearly as harsh as the bleaching cream, and you can’t expect them to show results in a month.
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer
- Forest Essential Lip Balm Sugared Rose Petal
- Boutique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
- Bio derma Lipstick-Atoderm
- Tacha Kissu Lip Mask
- Pacifica Glow Baby Brightening Peel Pads
- Noonu Korean Lip Oil- Appleberry
- Burt’s Bees
1. Kiehl’s Lip Balm
Kiehl’s is one of the most reputed skincare companies, and this is best for healing and hydration. It’ll help to get rid of the dark patches over time.
- Lanolin, almond oil, wheat germ oil, and squalane will provide intense hydration to the lips.
- Vitamin A and E will work as antioxidants and help with sun damage.
2. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer
These products contain SPF 15, which will provide protection against UVA and UVB rays in the long term, and hyperpigmentation can be avoided altogether.
- The product is lightweight and moisturizing
- It contains Ocitinoxanate, Oxybenzone, beeswax, and castor seed oil. These all are humectants and will help in moisturizing the lips.
- The product doesn’t contain PABA or fragrance and is a general chapstick.
3. Forest Essential Lip Balm Sugared Rose Petal
This lip balm is where you get honey-soaked rose petals and smells as delicious as the honey. This is super hydrating and keeps the moisture locked for a long time.
- It doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals
- The product is very lightweight and can be used as a lip primer.
- Not so heavy
4. Boutique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm
If you want to go above and beyond your usual lip balms, try the lip lightener for dark lips, then the Boutique Bio Fruit is perfect for trying. It’ll moisturize your lips and eliminate the dark patches over time.
- It contains SPF 30++, which is a lot if you’re looking for sun protection.
- Almond oil, grapefruit, root extract, etc., are included for hydration.
- Evens out the skin tones without harming the melanin sensitivity.
5. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
If you want excellent hydration and long-term effects, then we suggest using the Laneige lip mask as a lip lightener for dark lips. Almost all influencers on TikTok and Facebook will use this lip mask as an overnight mask or a regular balm.
- The product gets absorbed into the lips quickly and doesn’t leave a heavy feeling.
- It contains Vitamin C, antioxidants, and Berry Mox complex for long-term results and deep hydration.
- Has a lovely smell of cranberry, strawberry, and blueberry.
- Has moisture wrap technology.
6. Bio derma Lipstick-Atoderm
The lip balm contains shea butter and other nourishing ingredients, a staple for long-term dry patches and a lip lightener for dark lips. This is perfect if you have susceptible skin.
- This is a hydrating lipstick and a lip repair treatment.
- The balm is clear and is perfect for sensitive skin.
- Perfect for winter, the product is flavor and fragrance-free.
7. Tacha Kissu Lip Mask
This is on the expensive side of the lip masks, but it is one of the best lip mask formulas on the market. Tacha products are very hydrating and can be easily used as a lip primer for further action.
- Japanese peach extract, Japanese Camellia oil, and squalene is included in the lip mask for proper hydration.
- A leave-on jelly treatment that will heal the skin damage.
- It prevents any fine lines, wrinkles, and dark marks.
- Within a month, you will notice the outcome.
8. Pacifica Glow Baby Brightening Peel Pads
These are used mostly for skin, but the product can be used for lips as it contains AHA and BHA. The product is clean and perfect for pigmented and discolored lips, and you might want to include a lip balm with it.
- Contains 10%AHA, BHA, and niacinamide for a brightening effect
- Helps with the exfoliation and is suitable for skin types.
- Apple fruit extract will help hydrate the lips and skin.
9. Noonu Korean Lip Oil- Appleberry
Korean products are famous for their glowy effect, and the lip oil is as moisturizing as any other products we’ve mentioned, which is much thinner than a lip balm. You can use it before your cream for proper hydration.
- The product contains Appleseed oil that helps with moisture.
- Raspberry and fruit extract leave a slight red tint on the lips.
- Oil blends will help with the moisture and repair.
- The product doesn’t contain any paraben or mineral oils.
10. Burt’s Bees
This honey crystal exfoliator can be used as a lip lightener for dark lips, and you can keep it overnight for more hydration. The product also contains exotic beeswax oils that boost moisture on the lips.
- This is a gentle lip scrub and an overnight mask.
- They are made of 100% natural ingredients
- Honey, castor seed oil, lanolin, and a natural flavor are added to the scrub
- Shea butter and glycerine behenate is also added. You can use it at least twice a week.
DIY Lip Lightener For Dark Lips
Here we include some ingredients that will help with the pigmentation directly, and you can find them in your pantry. Most people want to look for a convenient way to get rid of skin problems, and going for natural ingredients will help.
Natural oils are the best way to start as a lip lightener for dark lips. Make sure you’re not allergic to the oils and do a patch test first.
- Coconut oil
- Rosehip oil
- Almond oil
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
Lemon, Honey, And Sugar
This particular product can be used as an exfoliant, and they will even repair the damaged skin around the mouth. Lemon is a source of antioxidants, honey will moisturize, and sugar will exfoliate.
- Lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey, and one teaspoon of sugar.
- Mix and run it properly and then rinse.
Milk and Turmeric
Turmeric is often considered a melanin inhibitor, and you can use milk and Turmeric to get a perfect mix.
- 2 servings of milk and a teaspoon of turmeric combine to form a thick paste.
- Apply it to the lips and keep it for five minutes.
Lime and Honey
Lime is also full of antioxidants and can be used with glycerine and honey.
- 1½ teaspoon of lime, one teaspoon of honey, and one teaspoon of glycerin.
- You can keep the mixture overnight and wash it with warm water in the morning.
Pomegranate and Rose Water
Pomegranate will help lighten skin and will help with hyperpigmentation. Instead of rose water, you can use milk to make a paste.
- One teaspoon of Pomegranate seeds and smash it well
- Use one teaspoon of rose water
- Use milk or cream on the paste
Almond and Milk
Almond oil is often used as a lip mask. And you can use almond paste with milk to make a recipe.
- Take one teaspoon of cream or milk in a bowl.
- Add three to five Almonds to a blender and make a paste.
- Apply it directly to your lips and keep it for 3- 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water
Strawberry and Soda
Strawberry can be used as crushed and mixed with baking soda and rose water.
- Take 3-5 crushed Strawberries and add two teaspoons of baking soda to the bowl.
- Add rose water or just water in the mix and make a mix.
- Apply it for at least two hours or keep it overnight.
There are numerous elements you may undertake to brighten your lips:
1. Clean up
2. Exfoliate with a chemical exfoliator
3. Or use a physical scrub
4. Keep the lip mask for overnight treatment
5. Lip serum masks
6. Lip balm
To lighten the lips dermatologist will first help with identifying the source of dark lips. If it is some sort of medical problem, then you might have to wait for the condition to be over. And if it is a sort of habit, then you must stop doing what affects hyperpigmentation. But for some initial relief, you can use home treatments like strawberry or aloe vera.
Lip lightener for dark lips are not a new invention. People have been using different products, including bleaching agents, for thousands of years, and the current technology has modified the ingredients and made them more accessible. But still, People prefer products that contain several natural ingredients. And this is why we included lip lightener for dark skin sources, which are found in drugstores and others in your pantry.