Table of Contents Show
Spray tanning is an effective method of getting a beautiful, sun-kissed glow without the harmful effects of UV rays. It involves the application of a tanning solution to the skin using a spray gun.
Spray tans are a convenient way to achieve a bronze glow, but they require some aftercare to ensure that the tan lasts as long as possible. While many people enjoy the natural-looking results of a spray tan, they often wonder if it’s safe to apply makeup after getting a spray tan.
In this article, we shall explore the topic that “can you put makeup on after a spray tan” and provide some tips on how to do so safely.
What is Spray Tans?
Before we delve into the specifics of putting on makeup after a spray tan, it’s essential to understand what a spray tan is and how it works.
A spray tan is a cosmetic treatment that uses a special solution to darken the skin temporarily. This solution typically contains dihydroxyacetone (DHA), a colorless sugar that reacts with the amino acids in the top layer of your skin to produce a golden-brown color. The effects of a spray tan can last from a few days to a week or more, depending on how well you take care of your skin. Spray tans can be done at a salon or at home with a spray tanning kit.
Can You Put Makeup On After a Spray Tan?
The short answer is yes; you can put makeup on after a spray tan, but you should wait a few hours to let the tan develop and set. It’s recommended to wait at least 4-6 hours after your spray tan before applying makeup. When you get a spray tan, the DHA solution needs time to fully develop and react with the amino acids in the top layer of your skin. If you apply makeup too soon, you risk disrupting the development process, which could result in an uneven or patchy tan. Additionally, makeup can clog your pores, which could cause your tan to fade faster. There are some guidelines that you should follow to ensure that your spray tan lasts as long as possible and that your makeup looks its best.
Applying Makeup After a Spray Tan
Now that we have a better understanding of what spray tan are let’s dive into how to apply makeup after getting a spray tan.
Timing is Everything
Timing is the most important thing to keep in mind when it comes to putting on makeup after a spray tan. You want to wait at least 4-6 hours after your spray tan before applying any makeup. This is because your skin needs time to absorb the spray tan solution and develop the color. Applying makeup too soon can interfere with this process and cause your tan to look uneven or streaky.
In addition, it is best to avoid using any products that contain oil or alcohol in the first 24-48 hours after your spray tan. These ingredients can cause the tan to fade or become blotchy, so it’s best to stick to water-based or non-comedogenic products during this time.
Choosing the Right Products
Another crucial factor to consider when putting on makeup after a spray tan is choosing the right products. Here’s what you need to keep in mind when selecting your makeup:
Foundations and Concealers: When choosing a foundation or concealer to use after a spray tan, look for a shade that matches your new skin tone. Avoid using products that are too light, as they can make your skin look unnatural and washed out.
Powders and Blushes: When it comes to powders and blushes, stick to shades that complement your new skin tone. Avoid using shades that are too dark or too light, as they can make your skin look patchy and uneven.
Eyeshadows and Eyeliners: When selecting eyeshadows and eyeliners, opt for neutral shades that complement your skin tone. Avoid using shades that are too dark or too light, as they can clash with your new skin tone and make your eyes look tired.
Lipsticks and Lip Glosses: When choosing lipsticks and lip glosses, select shades that complement your new skin tone. Avoid using shades that are too light, as they can make your lips look washed out. Similarly, avoid using shades that are too dark, as they can make your lips look harsh.
Now that we’ve covered the basics of timing and choosing the right products let’s dive into how to apply makeup after a spray tan.
- Prepping Your Skin: Before applying any makeup, it’s essential to prep your skin properly. Start by washing your face with a gentle cleanser and patting it dry with a soft towel. Next, apply a light moisturizer to your face to create a smooth base for your makeup. Finally, use a makeup primer to help your makeup last longer and look more natural.
- Applying Foundation: Start by applying a small amount of foundation to the center of your face, and blend it outwards using a brush, sponge, or your fingers. Be sure to blend carefully around your hairline and jawline to avoid any harsh lines. If you need extra coverage, use a concealer to cover any blemishes or dark circles.
- Adding Color: Once your foundation is applied, it’s time to add some color to your face. Start by applying blush to the apples of your cheeks, and blend it upwards towards your temples. Next, apply a bronzer to your cheekbones, forehead, and jawline to create a natural-looking contour.
- Finishing Touches: Finally, it’s time to add some finishing touches to your makeup. Apply eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara to create a natural-looking eye makeup look. Finish off with lipstick or a lip gloss in a shade that complements your new skin tone.
Tips for Putting on Makeup After a Spray Tan
Now that you know how to put on makeup after a spray tan let’s go over some tips and tricks to help you get the best results possible.
- Before applying makeup, make sure your skin is clean and free of any oils or lotions. Use a gentle cleanser and lukewarm water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Using a primer before applying foundation can help to create a smooth and even base for your makeup. Look for a primer that’s designed to work with your skin type (e.g. oily, dry, combination).
- When applying foundation, use a light touch and blend carefully. Start in the center of your face and work your way outwards, blending as you go. Be sure to avoid any areas where the spray tan may be uneven or patchy.
- If you’ve opted for a light or medium spray tan, you may want to use bronzer to enhance the warmth of your new tan. Choose a shade that’s slightly warmer than your natural skin tone and apply it to the high points of your face where the sun would naturally hit, such as your forehead, cheeks, and nose.
- When putting on makeup after a spray tan, it’s essential to consider your outfit. Avoid wearing anything too tight or restrictive, as this can rub off your spray tan and cause it to fade unevenly. Instead, opt for loose, comfortable clothing that won’t rub against your skin.
- When applying makeup after a spray tan, it’s essential to use a light hand. Too much pressure or product can cause your tan to look uneven or streaky. Instead, use a light touch and build up your makeup gradually.
- Avoid using any oil-based products on your skin after a spray tan, as they can break down the DHA in the spray tan solution and cause it to fade faster. Instead, opt for water-based or silicone-based products that won’t interfere with your tan.
- When it’s time to remove your makeup, be sure to be gentle with your skin. Use a gentle cleanser and a soft cloth to remove your makeup without scrubbing too hard. Avoid using any harsh exfoliants or scrubs, as they can remove your spray tan and cause it to fade unevenly.
- When it comes to eye makeup, it’s best to stick with neutral shades that won’t clash with your new tan. Avoid bright or bold colors, as they can look unnatural against a tanned complexion. Opt for neutral browns, golds, and bronzes instead.
- To help your makeup last as long as possible, consider using a setting spray. A setting spray will help to lock in your makeup and prevent it from smudging or rubbing off.
✨ You May like: Does Aquaphor Make Your Eyelashes Grow?
How to Make Your Spray Tan Last?
While it’s safe to put makeup on after a spray tan, there are other things you can do to make your tan last as long as possible. Here are some tips for making your spray tan last:
Shower before your spray tan: Showering before your spray tan helps remove any dead skin cells or oil that could interfere with the DHA reaction. Make sure to use a gentle, oil-free soap and avoid using any moisturizers or lotions.
Moisturize after your spray tan: After your spray tan has developed and set, it’s important to keep your skin moisturized. Dry skin can cause your tan to fade faster, so make sure to apply a gentle, oil-free moisturizer to your skin regularly.
Avoid exfoliating: Exfoliating your skin can strip your tan and cause it to fade faster. Avoid using scrubs or exfoliating products for at least a week after your spray tan.
Avoid swimming or sweating excessively: Water can cause your spray tan to fade faster, so it’s best to avoid swimming or sweating excessively for at least 24 hours after your spray tan.
Don’t shave or wax: Shaving or waxing can remove the top layer of your skin, which can cause your spray tan to fade faster. It’s best to avoid shaving or waxing for at least 24 hours after your spray tan.
Types of Makeup to Use after a Spray Tan
When it comes to choosing makeup to use after a spray tan, it’s best to stick to products that are specifically formulated for use on tanned skin. These products are designed to enhance the color of your tan and provide a natural, seamless look. Some of the best types of makeup to use after a spray tan include:
Mineral Makeup: Mineral makeup is a great option for use after a spray tan because it is lightweight and natural-looking. It also tends to be non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t clog your pores or cause breakouts.
Cream or Liquid Foundation: Cream or liquid foundation can also be used after a spray tan, but it’s important to choose a shade that matches your new tan color. Using a foundation that is too light or too dark can make your tan look unnatural.
Bronzer: Bronzer is a great way to enhance the color of your spray tan and give your skin a sun-kissed glow. Just be sure to choose a bronzer that is a similar shade to your spray tan and apply it lightly for a natural look.
Blush: Blush can also be used after a spray tan to give your cheeks a pop of color. Stick to shades that are similar to your natural skin tone for the most natural-looking results.
In summary, it is possible to put makeup on after a spray tan, but there are some guidelines that should be followed to ensure the best results. Waiting a few hours after the spray tan, avoiding oil-based makeup products, using a light touch, and choosing the right shades are all important factors to consider.
Additionally, starting with a clean canvas, using a primer, applying foundation with a light touch, using bronzer to enhance your tan, sticking with neutral shades for eye makeup, and using a setting spray can all help to achieve the best results. By following these tips, you can enjoy a flawless and long-lasting makeup look after your spray tan.
- A spray tan is a cosmetic treatment that involves spraying a solution onto the skin to create a temporary tan.
- It’s essential to wait at least 24 hours before applying any makeup after getting a spray tan.
- Oil-based makeup can clog your pores, which can cause your spray tan to fade faster.
- Products with high alcohol content or exfoliating properties can strip your skin of its color.
- When choosing makeup products to use after a spray tan, it’s important to consider the color of your new tan.
✨ Next Attraction: How to Remove Magnetic Eyeliner?